Transfer to a 4-Year College or University
- Transfer Application Checklist: Use to gather the materials you will need to complete your transfer application.
- Transfer Checklist: Use to determine your to-do list and next steps for transfer
Transferring to CSU
- CSU Application
- CSU Application Do's and Dont's
- CSU Application Guide
- CSU Application Tutorial Videos
- CSU GE Breadth
- Cal State Quick Start Guide & FAQs
- Contact a CSU Campus
- EOP Admission
- Applicant Support (If encountering issues)
Lower Division Transfer Program - This web site helps students who are planning to transfer to a California State University by providing academic road maps for the completion of lower-division major preparation.
Transferring to UC:
- Applying as Transfer Student
- How to Apply
- UC Application
- UC Application Tutorial Videos
- UC/CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- UC Resource Guide
- Personal Insight Questions
Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAG)
A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG), is a formal agreement between a student in attendance at Gavilan College and a receiving baccalaureate granting institution to which the student intends to transfer. The agreement guarantees admission to a transfer university a year in advance for a fall term admission. A TAG may also guarantee admission into a major. Because the requirements of universities vary, it is advisable that students consult a counselor for more detailed information. Counselors will help you determine your eligibility for a TAG and assist with the required documents.
Determine Eligibility for TAG
- review the TAG basic eligibility by accessing university links below
- read the university website (follow the links) for major preparation requirements
- collect all transcripts (Gavilan and any college attended)
- collect all test scores (Advance Placement, CLEP, IBB)
- calculate transferable units and transferable GPA and compare with minimum TA requirements
After completing the above steps, schedule a counseling appointment to review UC eligibility and TAG. You must have transcripts and test score information available at your appointment. Counseling appointments can be scheduled online: www.gavilan.edu/counseling
University of California Eligibility Links:
Students are limited to one UC TAG application.
* Please note: TAG Requirements are subject to change
Disclaimer: The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student. The information posted on this webpage is designed to assist you. The information is subject to change without notice which may subsequently impact your transfer admissions. You are encouraged to meet with your Gavilan counselor early in the planning process and often during the year prior to transfer.
UC Admission Application - My UC Application
- UC Transfer Pathways Guide Page: http://pathwaysguide.universityofcalifornia.edu/college-pathways/0/0
- UC transfer - This web site will identify the major preparations for transfer students interested in the UC system
- http://uctransfer.universityofcalifornia.edu/ - admissions information, planning guides, and resources.
Transferring to a Private University
- Apply using The Common Application
Private Institutions - Transfer Guides/Agreements
Certain private universities have completed course agreements with Gavilan College to facilitate student transfer. The following universities have provided students with a course transfer pattern that would maximize the credits earned at Gavilan:
- ASSIST - ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California.
- Accrediting Agencies - U.S. Department of Education database of accrediting agencies for schools
- Articulation vs. Transferable - terms used often in college. Know the difference!
- Gavilan College Career / Transfer Center - The staff can assist you with:
- Information on university majors and graduation requirements
- Assistance with filling out college applications
- Schedule meetings with university representatives
- Referrals to a counselor who will assist with educational planning
- CSU application fee waivers
- A library of current college catalogs
- A reference library of updated books on careers, internships, scholarships and occupational outlook
- Useful college and university internet sites
- Use the computerized career information program, EUREKA, which is designed to assist you in selecting a major or career.