How To Start
To get to your classes, login at my.gavilan.edu, and then click "Student" and then "iLearn".
- Please use a recent version of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to access iLearn. Internet Explorer no longer works.
- To learn more about online classes at Gavilan, you can take the Quick Tour.
- If you'd like a more hands-on introduction, you can attend an in-person orientation at the Library.
Using your Phone or Tablet
Gavilan iLearn uses software called Canvas. You’ll see it when you log in to iLearn. To use your phone or tablet to access your class, download the Canvas Student app from your App store or Play store
The Mission of the Gavilan College Distance Education Program is to provide the highest quality instruction and support services that are accessible and responsive to the learning needs of its communities with courses, certificates, and degree programs through distance education. The program will also support future program development through collaboration and innovation with the community.
- Every student is provided with a Gavilan email account. All school communication will take place via this email address. Please be sure that you know how to check this email.
- We have Online Tutoring available 24 hours a day.
- We have Online Counselors available if you can't make it to campus.
- Many other Student Services have important information and contact details on their homepages.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll in a class?
The process is the same for online and face-to-face classes. Begin at the Admissions Office Steps to Enroll.
How do I contact the instructor?
You can always use the messaging system inside of iLearn. Click on the "People" link in your online class, and then click on your instructor's name. Look for a button under "Contact".
You can also find your instructor in the Staff Directory. They should have an email address and phone number listed there.
What if something goes wrong with my computer or Internet?
Sometimes technology breaks down. It's a fact of life, and especially frustrating when a deadline is looming. Please remember to: (1) Let your instructor know as soon as possible, before any deadlines pass. (2) Have a backup plan in case your main computer has problems. (3) Save a copy of your work on your computer or on the cloud. Be in the habit of copying your work to your own files.
Why can't I see my class on iLearn?
Usually this means that the class hasn't started yet. You can go to MyGav to confirm that you've registered (and paid) for your class. You won't be able to see your class on iLearn until the first day of the semester.
What classes are online?
Please check our list of online classes.
Do I need to access my class at a specific time each day?
Generally, no. Most online classes aren't "real-time". You can access the class at any time, day or night, during the week. Your instructor will tell you if there are any exceptions to this. Warning! There are deadline dates and times in every class. You'll need to be aware of these and check in often enough that you don't miss any deadlines.