The Gavilan Scholarship Program helps students achieve their educational goals. Gavilan College offers numerous need and merit based scholarships for part-time and full-time students in most academic majors. These awards are funds for school related expenses that you do not repay. All continuing Gavilan College students, transfer students, and new students, including graduating high school students, may apply. Applying for scholarships is free. Our scholarship application will open in February 14, 2022!
Scholarships are a financial resource provided by faculty/staff, local businesses, community groups, alumni, and a variety of private sources. Scholarships are limited funds and awarded on a competitive and/or special criteria basis, such as grade point average or academic major. Our donors designate specific criteria based on academic achievement, educational and career goals, and financial need. Awards range from $250 and up per year.
In order to be considered for any of our institutional scholarships, students must complete the general online scholarship application. However, some donors may require additional information from their applicants. Please refer to each scholarship criteria for more information.
How to Apply for Gavilan Scholarships
Log in to the Scholarship Site using your Gavilan ID and password.
February 14, 2022: Gavilan Scholarship opportunities posted
April 17, 2022: Last day to apply for 2022/2023 scholarships
Please note:Exact scholarship deadlines and dates will be posted once available.
- There is no limit to how many scholarships you can apply for, but please review the minimum requirements before you apply.
- Applying for scholarships is a competitive process. Please be aware that not every student who applies for scholarships will win.
- Once you create a scholarship profile, you can monitor the status of any scholarships for which you have applied. Just log back into your account by using the link above.
- If you don't meet the minimum criteria listed on the scholarship posting you apply for, your application will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Most scholarship funds are distributed the following fall term.
- You must be enrolled in at least six units at Gavilan, unless a different requirement is specified in the scholarship posting and meet the other requirements of the scholarship.
- Get help with your personal essay at the writing center.
February 14, 2022: Gavilan scholarships posted. (External scholarships are continually posted throughout the year as we receive them.)
April 17, 2022: Gavilan scholarships will close for review.
April 25, 2022: Scholarship review process begins.
May 2022: Scholarship review committees review applications and select finalists.
May - June 24, 2022: Scholarship finalists are selected and announced. Post acceptance documents collected.
July - August 2022 (TBA): Scholarship Celebration and Awards.
Applications are reviewed April. Students who are selected will be sent an email to their school email address in May. Recipients will be advised of the terms of the scholarship award, how it is disbursed during the school year and the need to maintain GPA requirements and enrollment status during the year the scholarship is received. Scholarship awards will be presented at an annual awards ceremony and recipients are required to attend.
UC Santa Cruz- Karl S. Pister Leadership Opportunity Program
The Karl S. Pister Leadership Opportunity Awards Program was established in 1993 by former chancellor Karl S. Pister to increase opportunities for talented community college students who want to transfer to UCSC.The scholarship is for junior-level UC transfer-eligible students who:
- Have shown exceptional achievement through academic and extracurricular accomplishments despite adverse socioeconomic conditions;
- Have demonstrated an involvement in activities that assist and improve the lives of others;
- Exhibit outstanding leadership qualities that reflect the ideals of the Pister Leadership Opportunity Program;
- Because of financial need, would not otherwise be able to attend UC Santa Cruz.
- Students on a non-immigrant visa (e.g., F-1, J-1, etc.) are not eligible for this award.
The program provides a scholarship of up to $20,000 distributed over two years, wholistic support, and assistance in finding paid or volunteer summer work experience. Recipients will be selected by the chancellor of UCSC from candidates submitted by the presidents of participating community colleges.
For more information, contact the Gavilan College Scholarship at firstname.lastname@example.org.
External Scholarship Opportunities
Application Deadlines Vary Throughout the Year
Periodically, the Financial Aid Office is asked by an outside agency to advertise a scholarship they offer to undergraduate students. If we feel the scholarship is legitimate and a good fit for our students, we will post it on the 'External Opportunities' section of our scholarship system. Please be sure to review all information posted for an outside scholarship since scholarship requirements and application processes vary from one opportunity to another and may be different from Gavilan’s. If you have questions about the application process for a particular outside scholarship, please contact the agency listed on that scholarship's web page.
For Students who are a Gavilan College CSEA member or have a parent or immediate family member that is a Gavilan College CSEA member. (Immediate family member is defined as: spouse, domestic partner, children, stepchildren and/or grandchildren)
Scholarship Giving at Gavilan College
Other Scholarships Available
Free Scholarship Directories
- Chegg.com Scholarship List
- Bankingsense Scholarship List
- Fastweb Scholarship List
- Gates Millennium Scholarships
- Immigrant Rising
- Scholarship Fraud
Community College Public Relations Organization: 2019 Writing Scholarship