HOW TO: IRS VERIFICATION OF NON-FILING LETTER
If you did not file taxes in 2019, you and your parents may need a “Verification of Non-filing Letter” from the IRS.
What is an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter?
- A document provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which confirms there is no record of taxes filed for a specific person
- An official document to fulfill Department of Education verification requirements
- The letter is requested from the IRS. It is free to request and receive.
- Typically received in 5-10 days depending on the method you use to request
- The letter provides proof that you did not file. It does not indicate whether you were required to file. If you have never filed taxes, you need to request by paper using the 4506-T form.
- Request online, by phone, or by paper request (IRS Form 4506-T). Instructions below.
Available to print or download on the IRS Website.
- “Get Transcript Online” requires verification of identity through a multi-step process. You will be asked to verify your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan.
- You must have a mobile phone with your name on the account
- You must establish a username and password
- Navigate to the IRS Website
- Click “Get Transcript Online”
- Follow step-by-step instructions to verify your identity
- You will be sent a confirmation code via email to enter as part of the process
- Select tax year “2016”
- Request “Verification of Non-filing Letter”
- Download, print, and submit via fax or in-person to Financial Aid
Note: the IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter is unavailable to request by mail on the IRS website.
Request by Paper – IRS Form – 4506-T
Download IRS Form 4506-T here.
Download IRS Form 4506-T here - for 2016 requests
- Complete lines 1-4 of the form
- Line 5: Used to send your 4506-T to a third party. Leave this field blank. All letters should be mailed to your personal address.
- Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right for “Verification of Non-filing”
- Line 9: In the year or period requested field, enter “12/31/2016”
- Sign and date form
- Mail or fax the completed 4506-T form to the address or fax provided on page 2
- When the letter is received by mail, typically in 5-10 days, submit to Gavilan College Financial Aid by fax or in-person
Request by Phone
Available to print or download on the IRS Website .
- Typically unavailable if you have never filed taxes in prior years
- Must be at a stable address (letter will be sent to address on previous years’ filed taxes)
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- Follow prompts to enter Social Security Number and street address (typically address on last tax return filed)
- Select option 2 – IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter
- Enter “2016”
- The letter will be mailed to the address entered in the prompt
There is no substitute for the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. If you are having difficulties, the IRS.gov help line is 1-800-876-1715. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Eastern).