Veterans and Dependents Checklist
1. Complete VA Application for Education Benefits, VA Form 22.1990 at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
- Veterans: keep a copy of your DD-214 on hand to enter correct service dates
- Dependents: Have the Social Security number of the parent who served time in the Armed Forces.
2. If you are transferring from another school, complete VA Form 22-1995athttp://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp This form is only used if you are transferring from another school where your educational benefits were used.
3. Apply to Gavilan College.
- If you are flagged for non-residency, please talk to a Veteran Counselor as you may be eligible for a waiver.
- IMPORTANT – Once you have applied to college, you will receive an email with your G00-number and password. DO NOT LOSE this email.
4. Make an appointment and take assessment tests for Math, English, and Reading.
If you meet either of the following requirements you DO NOT have to take the assessment test:
- Can provide assessment scores dated within the last 5 years from another college.
- Can provide transcripts w/ English and Math classes completed with a “C” or better.
5. Order officicial transcripts from all colleges you have attended. Include any colleges you attended before, during, or after your military service. You may bring in official transcripts with you as long as they remain in a sealed envelope.
6. Submit copy of DD-214, Member 4 Copy. This is required to receive 5 units toward your degree.
7. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once approved for VA educational benefits the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring this letter to the financial aid office.
8. Attend Orientation. The orientation can be taken online or in person. Needed before you can see a counselor.
9. Schedule an appointment with a Counselor. Once the above steps have been completed, a counselor will evaluate your course work and assist you in mapping out an Education Plan that will clearly define your education goals. This is needed to receive VA education benefits.
10. Register for classes. Go to my.gavilan.edu, and sign in with your G00 number and password.
11. Submit your Declaration of Enrollment to Sandra Talavera in the Financial Aid Office. A new Declaration of Enrollment needs to be turned in each semester. Ensure your Education Plan is up to date.
12. Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Veterans may be entitled to financial aid and fee waivers in addition to their GI Bill. Stop by the Financial Aid office for assistance.
For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center page.