Counseling Support Office Remote Line: (408) 840-3024
In the interest of minimizing social contact at this time, the Gavilan College Counseling Department will be assisting students remotely from March 16, 2020 - April 3, 2020. Counseling services will not be available during Spring Break (April 6th-12th). We strongly encourage you to utilize any of the following modalities of counseling:
- Virtual Drop-In: Most questions/concerns that do not require paperwork being completed can be handled over virtual drop-in by knocking on a counselor’s “virtual door.” You can chat with a counselor or speak to them in real-time.
- Available Monday - Friday 8:30am-12:30pm through Cranium Cafe.
- Go to http://www.gavilan.edu/student/online_support.php.
- Then click on “Counseling.” (You may need to refresh your screen to see all available counselors.)
- If the counselor is ONLINE, click the “Knock on Door” button to chat OR have a live session.
- If a counselor is offline, you can send them a message by clicking the “Send me a Message” button. This will send them an email that will be responded to within 2 business days.
- Email: Have a quick/simple question?
- Available 24/7. You can expect an email response within 2 business days
- Go to http://www.gavilan.edu/counseling/online.php then click on “Email Counseling”
- Online Counseling/Real-Time Video or Phone Appointments: More complex questions/concerns or issues that require paperwork being completed can be addressed using Cranium Café (our online video counseling platform) or via the telephone.
- Available Monday - Thursday 8:00am-6:30pm and Friday 8:00am-4:00pm.
- Go to http://www.gavilan.edu/counseling/index.php then click on “Make an Appointment.”
- The counselor will contact your phone number on file during your scheduled appointment. Please make sure your contact information is up to date on your mygav student portal. Allow 5-10 minutes before or after your scheduled appointment time. You can let the counselor know if you prefer to speak to them via phone or in real-time using cranium cafe.
If as of 3/16/2020 you already had a scheduled appointment with a counselor, expect a phone call during your scheduled appointment time. Make sure your contact information is up to date.
Our Department is committed to assisting you. We are working hard to contact you and meet your needs in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience during this time of uncertainty.For additional support, please contact the counseling support office at 408-840-3024.
Important : In order to schedule an appointment for Gavilan's Counseling services, your Gavilan ID number is required.
The professional counselors at Gavilan College provide academic, career, vocational, transfer, and personal counseling. We can help you choose the right classes for your major, decide on your educational goals, find your ideal career path, transfer to a 4-year college, or work through difficult personal issues.
If you have any questions or concerns about school, work, or life—come in and talk to us! Appointments are required for educational plans, transcript evaluation, and graduation petitions
It’s easy to meet with a counselor. Look at the list below to see if you are in a program with counselors. If not, check Location and Service Hours for a current schedule.
You can schedule an appointment online or call our office at (408) 840-3024. We are located in the Student Services Building near Admissions and Records.
Programs with Counseling Support
- Contact the Online Counselor (requires Gav ID and email)
- Submit questions online and get answers via email within 2 business days;
- Emails will be returned only during regular/intersession counseling hours.
The Gavilan College Counseling Department faculty adheres to the Ethical Standards published by the American Counseling Association.