Home > Welcome New Students > Steps for new Students
Steps for new Students
Welcome to Gavilan College!
- Start here by filling out an application for admission and get the process started.
- Apply Now
- Once your application has been submitted, you will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your application. The processing time of your application may take up to 3 business days (excluding weekends and holidays). Be sure to also check your junk/spam folder.
- After your application has been processed, you will receive an e-mail with information on how to obtain your Gavilan ID number (G00…) and Password. View the How to Obtain your Gav ID and Password Number Video for instructions.
- Contact the Admissions Office for more information
- If you want financial aid, start by filling out the application below.
- Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at https://studentaid.gov OR
- Complete CADAA (California Dream Act Application) at https://dream.csac.ca.gov for AB 540 students
- Priority deadline (to receive the most money): March 2, 2023
- All students are encouraged to apply since you may qualify for the California Promise Grant , the Gavilan Promise Grant or other aid
- Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information
- Assessment Information
- All who enter Gavilan are eligible to enroll in English 1A and transfer level math. If you have questions about other options, please speak with a Gavilan counselor.
- Placement is based on your U.S. high school GPA and coursework. Be sure to have that information before going to the placement link above.
- Official Transcripts from high school, prior colleges attended, or Advanced Placement (AP) exams should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Admissions & Records Office. Please ensure that the official transcripts being dropped off are in a sealed envelope.
- You can view placement results (information provided on your Gavilan application or placement link above) by going to your MyGav portal (need Gavilan ID and Password #):
- Go to Self Service Banner (yellow box) Student Tab Placement Info
- Placement results are also on Degree Works Worksheet
- Refer to Student Checklist for green check mark indicating Math/English Placement is satisfied.
- Log into your MyGav portal. Under the Student tab, look for the Orientations and Workshops icon. Available 24/7. It takes approximately one hour to complete.
- Students who have attended other colleges are not required to complete the Orientation, but it is highly recommended.
- You will learn about student support services, college success tips, and other important information about Gavilan College.
- Completion of Orientation will be awarded after you complete the Student Survey at the end. The Orientation and an Education Plan are required for priority registration for next semester.
- Refer to Student Checklist for green check mark indicating Online Orientation is satisfied.
- For questions email email@example.com
- Students who have a declared major and an education plan that outlines the courses necessary to complete their educational goal are more likely to graduate in a timely manner.
- Review the Degrees/Certificates offered at Gavilan College
- Log into MyGav portal, under the student tab go to MyDegreeWorks to identify courses required for your educational objective. Review the worksheets and select General Education and Major courses for the upcoming term.
- Meet with a counselor if you need help identifying courses for registration.
- For undecided students it is recommended you follow the Liberal Arts, Multiple Subjects degree in order to be eligible for financial aid. At any time you can meet with a counselor to update or change your major.
- Contact the Counseling Department for more information.
- Register for classes by logging into your MyGav account, Under the student tab and go to Gavilan Self-Service Banner. Review the How to Register for Classes Video to review steps if needed.
- To access your classes, log into your MyGav portal, under the student tab and go to iLearn (Canvas).
- Log into your My Gav PortalàSelf-Service BanneràStudent TabàStudent Account to view fees and pay.
- If you need help paying, please complete the FAFSA or CADAA (Step 2 above).
- Contact the Virtual Welcome Center for assistance.
- An ed plan is a comprehensive semester by semester plan of all the courses needed to complete your educational goal. Ed plans are created by Gavilan counselors.
- Once the semester begins, schedule a counseling education plan appointment so you can be eligible for priority registration next term. Completion of Orientation and Ed Plan = Priority Registration Next Semester.
- Refer to Student Checklist for green check mark indicating Ed Plan is satisfied.
- Contact the Counseling Department or the office of Special Program for appointment.
***For assistance on any of the steps above, please contact our Virtual Welcome Center.
The Welcome Center is open Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:30pm and Friday 8:00am-12:00pm. You can click on “Join live Zoom for help” to be connected immediately or visit www.gavilan.edu/student/welcome_center or call (408) 848-4800 ext. 5108