Adapted Physical Education
Adapted Physical Education is a program designed for students with disabilities. Classes offered enable students to improve flexibility and range of motion, increase joint movement, and improve control of body movements. Special attention is given to activity programs that meet the interest and individual functional capacities of students who may not safely or successfully engage in the activities of the regular Physical Education/Kinesiology program.
Classes are provided by qualified instructors through a number of water and gym activities.
- Adapted Aquatic Exercise
- Adapted Swimming for Total Fitness
- Adapted Physical Education
- Adapted Cardiovascular Conditioning & Training
One large outdoor pool is used for aerobic and swim classes. the shallow side (3ft.-4ft.) is used for aerobic exercise, and the deeper 7ft. pool is used for laps and swim classes throughout the day. Our pool is maintained year-round and kept at a comfortable 85-87 degrees. Two accessible hydraulic lifts are at each end of the pool.
Gavilan College has a state-of-the-art Fitness Center and Mini Gym Facility. The Fitness Center is a facility containing the very finest in exerise equipment for cardio & fitness or strength classes. Much of the equipment is designed for individuals that have a disability, paraplegia or quadriplegia. The Fitness Center is a facility containing the very finest in exercise equipment.
- Six Scifit Machines: Two Ergometer Arm/Shoulder, two sitting Bicycle style and a Bike with Arm Peddler & two Sitting Ellipticals (wheelchair accessible)
- Two Trackmaster Treadmills
- One SciFit Treadmill with Reverse Mode
- Three Flexicisers: electric powered sitting bike rotating motion for legs
- (primarily used by wheelchair students)
- Uppertone Machine - specifically designed for wheelchair students but useful for other individuals with disabilities
- APEX 7000- specifically designed for wheelchair students
- Easy Stand 6000 - standing frame for upper and lower extremity use : wheelchair users
- Rickshaw - for shoulders & arms (primarily used by wheelchair students for transferring)
- Three Monark Stationary Bikes
- Magnum Fitness Systems - Fourteen individual machines each designed for specific muscular groups
- 3 Step Stairs - Improve strength and balance
- Stretching Table
- Two Sit to Stand: squat seats
- Parallel Bars: 24 feet long
- Whole Body Vibration Units for circulation, core, balance & stretching
We offer a mini gym that is a great facility for wheelchair basketball and related wheelchair exercises. The floor material is firm, yet soft, ideal for floor exercises. The gym includes an adjustable basketball rim, floor marking for badminton and basketball. Strength, balance and stretching equipment available for student use.