How to Apply for FAFSA
To be considered for federal student aid, state, and institutional aid, you must complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year that you attend college. The application opens each academic year on October 1st with a priority deadline of March 2nd.
Steps to Apply
- Apply online at https://studentaid.gov/fafsa and list the Gavilan College School code (001202). Processing time is approximately two weeks.
- Check your status or view any required documents, login to the myGav portal, click on the Student tab, view Financial Aid Requirements, and select the correct Academic Year.
- Submit requested documents.
Who is Eligible to File a FAFSA?
- Are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents (who have an "Alien Registration Number").
- Have Social Security Number.
- Are not in default on an educational loan nor owe a refund on federal (or state) student aid.
- Are enrolled in an eligible program for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate.
- Have the ability to benefit from the education offered. This can be met by holding a high school diploma, passing an approved test in the Assessment Center, or securing a GED diploma.
- Have declared an educational goal like AA/AS, certificate, and/or transfer.
- Are making satisfactory academic progress.
Don't meet the above requirements? Take a look at our California Dream Act page.