Options for Lactating Students & Employees
Gavilan College recognizes the breastfeeding needs of new mothers by providing a Lactation Room for students and employees. Numerous studies and healthcare recommendations point to breastfeeding for the promotion of optimal infant health. However, it can be a very difficult process for the postpartum professional or collegiate mother returning to work or school. The Lactation Rooms includes comfortable seating and side table, sanitary supplies, a sink, a baby changing station and electrical outlets for breast-pumps. This secure location provides students and employees the ability to ease back into work or school without having to sacrifice the healthy practice of expressing milk.
Guidelines for Use
The Lactation Room is for use by lactating mothers only and may be used by employees and students.
- Online registration is required for use on an ongoing basis. NOTE: Link to online registration is coming soon. In the meantime, the lactation room is open and available on a first come, first served basis.
- The Lactation Room is available on a first-come, first-served basis Monday-Friday during business hours and as scheduled. The person whose name appears on the schedule at a designated time has priority use of the room at that scheduled time. Please be respectful of the schedule.
- If you need to see when the room is available or you would like to be added to the schedule, please contact the Health Clerk in Health Services. If you use the Lactation Room, it is your responsibility to keep yourself on schedule and notify the Health Clerk of any changes in your schedule and/or discontinued use of the room.
- Persons using the space are responsible for providing personal breast pumps and accessories.
- Abuse of Lactation Room will suspend your right to use it and may result in disciplinary action as appropriate.
- It is the responsibility of everyone using the Lactation Room to clean up after themselves. This is not only out of respect for the next user, but to prevent contamination and illness transmission. The custodial staff will clean the rooms nightly as part of the regular cleaning schedule.
- No milk storage is allowed in the Lactation Room. Each person is responsible for proper storage of expressed milk. The College will not be responsible for items or milk left behind in the Lactation Room.
For questions or comments, please contact: Health Services at 408-848-4738.
To schedule use of the room please go online to Lactation Room Reservation