Welcome to MESA - Mathematics • Engineering • Science • Achievement
What is MESA?
Are you interested in math, engineering, or science? The Mathematics, Engineering, and Science Achievement (MESA) community college program can provide academic support to help you excel in these subjects and transfer to a university to continue your studies.
Our goal is to support educationally disadvantaged and historically under-represented undergraduate community college students and develop a new generation of STEM leaders in California.
The MESA program at Gavilan College provides not only services, but also a culture and community geared toward student success in STEM disciplines. We are here to help you succeed!
How to Reach Us
You can call or text us at (669) 500-0152 or email us at email@example.com to make an appointment or if you have questions. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Career Fair 2023
Meet with employers to discover new career options that may interest you, and explore those different options to gain opportunities. You could get hired on the spot! Bring your resume and see who's hiring! Registration not required, and the event is free.
WHEN: Wednesday, April 12th, 2023, 11 AM to 2 PM
WHERE: Walkway between the Mathematics Building and Library
Check out the Career Fair Flyer!
Gilroy Hacks: Hackathon
If you are a student looking to test your skills and learn something new...
participate in this local hackathon where you'll immerse yourself with other coders and grasp new concepts!
WHEN: April 15th and 16th
WHERE: Gavilan College (exact location TBA)
Check out the Gilroy Hacks website to learn more!
STEM Open House Spring 2023
Register today at the STEM Open House Spring 2023 Registration Website!
The STEM Academy program provides comprehensive support to help students complete their coursework to transfer. Support includes stipends, faculty mentoring, and access to a lending library for textbooks and other supplies.
-Paid Summer Internships and STEM’s full-time Counselor
- The STEM Center, Math Lab, and MESA Center
- Math Boot Camps
There will be free food, drinks, and giveaways.
WHEN: Saturday, April 29th, 2023, 11 AM to 1 PM WHERE: Science Quad Courtyard near the Mathematics Building
Check out our flyer: STEM Open House Spring 2023 Flyer
University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) Biotech Career Day
- How academic coursework leads to a career in the biotechnical sciences.
- Understanding superior majors at a community college or at UCSC to prepare you for the future.
- Checking out the financial rewards associated with a b io t ech science professional career.
- Lifestyle benefits associated with being a biotech professional.
How to participate:
- You must be an ACCESS member (register on the ACCESS form)
- By Friday, April 7th – register via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject
line “intent to participate.”
- Each participant will be entered into a raffle to receive an Amazon Gift Card!
WHEN: Friday, April 14th, 2023, Tours: 3-5:30 pm, Dinner/Drinks: 5:30 pm.
WHERE: Location: Lot behind the 2155 Delaware St. Building, Santa Cruz
Check out their flyer for more information: UCSC Biotech Career Day 2023.
Spring 2023 Tutoring
- STEM/Math Lab/MESA Virtual Center
- Time and Date To Be Announced
- In-Person Tutoring
- The STEM Center and MESA are open in person! Please check the STEM Center homepage for the schedule of tutors and hours of operation.
- Priority Registration 2
MESA students are eligible to receive priority registration, so you can register a day before other continuing students on campus.
- Specialized Academic Counseling
Receive guidance and planning so you can take the correct courses in the most effective sequence and transfer in a timely manner. We monitor your progress and success.
- Transfer Support
We provide guidance to help you transfer to a 4-year college, including applications, personal statements, transfer agreements, and more.
MESA students get free tutoring services dedicated to students that are in the program.
- MESA Learning Center
The MESA Center serves as a hub of activity where students can do homework, receive tutoring, build community, and engage in cultural and social activities.
- Other Services
Other services include calculator and laptop loan programs, internship opportunities, university field trips, and more!
How to Apply to MESA
Fill out MESA application
Apply online: MESA Online Application Form . (It may take up to 3 working business days to review your application and notify you of our decision)
Make an Appointment
Call 669-500-0152 to schedule a Zoom appointment to meet with the MESA Director and/or Program Specialist.
Meet with MESA Director
During your appointment, the MESA Director and/or Program Specialist will review your application, determine your eligibility, and answer any questions you might have about the program.
Other Student Support Programs and Services
- If your family is on public assistance, you may qualify for CalWORKS.
- If you are a single parent and eligible for EOPS, you may qualify for additional benefits and services through the Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE).
- If you are a current or former foster youth, you may qualify for Foster Youth Services.