The Faculty Mentoring Program
The goals of the program are as follows:
- To provide learning experiences to expand and enhance faculty's current skills and abilities.
- To introduce faculty to Gavilan College's operational procedures, responsibilities, and campus resources.
- To provide the opportunity to network and make cross-campus connections.
- To support teaching strategies for student-centered learning and teaching.
- To build relationships and increase support for faculty (part-time and full-time) within their own departments.
How the process works:
New faculty will receive an email welcoming them to the college and the mentor program. Faculty interested in the program connect with the Mentoring Faculty Liaison, who will arrange a meeting time and discuss interests and needs.
The Mentoring Liaison will recruit mentors during Fall and Spring Semesters. Mentees will be assigned to a mentor who is full-time or part-time faculty.
Mentors and mentees will attend an orientation beginning of the Fall/Spring semesters and meet regularly throughout the semester/year.
*Ten hours of FLEX professional development credit will be given to mentors and mentees each semester for participating in the program.
Mentees will complete a professional growth plan indicating the goals they want to work on each semester. Mentors will work with their mentees to identify needs to achieve goals.
Mentors and mentees will complete applications, goals sheets, and program evaluations at the end of each semester.
- Mentors will attend orientation meetings at the beginning of the Fall and Spring Semesters.
- Mentors will review the Mentee and Mentor Guidelines.
- Mentors and mentees will meet at least once per month.
- Mentors will meet with the Mentoring Liaison midsemester.
- Mentors will guide, advise, and support new faculty to reach their professional goals.
- Mentors will work with their mentees to develop professional goals to work on during their time together.
- Mentors and mentees will maintain confidentiality.
If you are interested, please complete the application.
College of the Canyons