The Gavilan Scholarship Program helps students achieve their educational goals. Gavilan College offers numerous need and merit based scholarships for part-time and full-time students in most academic majors. These awards are funds for school related expenses that you do not repay. All continuing Gavilan College students, transfer students, and new students, including graduating high school students, may apply. Applying for scholarships is free. The deadline to apply for scholarships is March 15, 2020.
Scholarships are a financial resource provided by faculty/staff, local businesses, community groups, alumni, and a variety of private sources. Scholarships are limited funds and awarded on a competitive and/or special criteria basis, such as grade point average or academic major. Our donors designate specific criteria based on academic achievement, educational and career goals, and financial need. Awards range from $250 and up per year.
In order to be considered for any of our institutional scholarships, students must complete the general online scholarship application. However, some donors may require additional information from their applicants. Please refer to each scholarship criteria for more information.
How to Apply for Gavilan Scholarships
Log in to the Scholarship Site using your Gavilan ID and password.
January, 2020: Gavilan Scholarship opportunities posted
March 15, 2020: Last day to apply for 2020/2021 scholarships
- There is no limit to how many scholarships you can apply for, but please review the minimum requirements before you apply.
- Applying for scholarships is a competitive process. Please be aware that not every student who applies for scholarships will win.
- Once you create a scholarship profile, you can monitor the status of any scholarships for which you have applied. Just log back into your account by using the link above.
- If you don't meet the minimum criteria listed on the scholarship posting you apply for, your application will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Most scholarship funds are distributed the following fall term.
- You must be enrolled in at least six units at Gavilan, unless a different requirement is specified in the scholarship posting and meet the other requirements of the scholarship.
- Get help with your personal essay at the writing center.
January: Gavilan scholarships will be posted. (External scholarships are continually posted throughout the year as we receive them.)
Mid-March: Gavilan scholarships will close for review.
March: Scholarship review process begins.
April: Scholarship review committees review applications and select finalists.
May: Scholarship finalists are selected and announced. Post acceptance documents collected.
June: Scholarship Celebration and Awards.
Applications are reviewed April. Students who are selected will be sent an email to their school email address in May. Recipients will be advised of the terms of the scholarship award, how it is disbursed during the school year and the need to maintain GPA requirements and enrollment status during the year the scholarship is received. Scholarship awards will be presented at an annual awards ceremony and recipients are required to attend.
External Scholarship Opportunities
Application Deadlines Vary Throughout the Year
Periodically, the Financial Aid Office is asked by an outside agency to advertise a scholarship they offer to undergraduate students. If we feel the scholarship is legitimate and a good fit for our students, we will post it on the 'External Opportunities' section of our scholarship system. Please be sure to review all information posted for an outside scholarship since scholarship requirements and application processes vary from one opportunity to another and may be different from Gavilan’s. If you have questions about the application process for a particular outside scholarship, please contact the agency listed on that scholarship's web page.
Scholarship Giving at Gavilan College
For information on how to establish a scholarship at Gavilan College, contact Kim Benjamin, Scholarship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete and return this form: Establish a New Scholarship.
Other Scholarships Available
Free Scholarship Directories
- Chegg.com Scholarship List
- Bankingsense Scholarship List
- Fastweb Scholarship List
- Gates Millennium Scholarships
- Scholarship Fraud
Community College Public Relations Organization: 2019 Writing Scholarship