Community Spirit Awards
2018 Nominations are due: August 31
The Gavilan College Community Spirit Awards were created in 1999, when the Gavilan College Board of Trustees passed resolution #739. The awards recognize contributions to the communities which form the Gavilan Joint Community College District.
Each year, three sets of awards are presented, for the communities of Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and San Benito County. In each community an individual, a business, and a non-profit organization are selected. The nomination process and final selection are guided by a representative committee from Gavilan College.
The 2018 Committee members are:
- Jan Bernstein Chargin
- Linda Bernabe
- Stacey Porteur
- Judy Rodriguez
- Mary Ann Sanidad
- Jennifer Tomasello
- Bobbi Jo Palmer (Gavilan College Education Foundation)
Community Spirit Awards Criteria
Anyone may submit a nomination for a community spirit award.
Candidates must reside, work, or do business in the community for which they are being nominated.
A committee representing Gavilan College staff, students, and faculty will review the nominations and make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees for one business, one organization, and one individual from each of the major communities in the college district.
Nominations will be evaluated based upon:
- Duration of service to the community
- Impact of the nominee on the community
- Scope of the impact (were a few people affected?, many?, a specific subset?)
- Is the nominee a volunteer?
- Intangible evidence of "Community Spirit." -- tell us what that means to you