Transfer to a 4-Year College or University
- Articulation Agreements with private and out-of state universities and colleges
- Additional Resources
- Transfer Admission Agreements with the University of California
- Transfer 101
- Transfer Checklist
Other Useful Info:
- UC/CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- CSU Transfer Student Application Guide
Transferring to UC:
A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG), is a formal agreement between a student in attendance at Gavilan College and a receiving baccalaureate granting institution to which the student intends to transfer. The agreement guarantees admission to a transfer university a year in advance for a fall term admission. A TAG may also guarantee admission into a major. Because the requirements of universities vary, it is advisable that students consult a counselor for more detailed information. Counselors will help you determine your eligibility for a TAG and assist with the required documents.
Determine Eligibility for TAG
review the TAG basic eligibility by accessing university links below
read the university website (follow the links) for major preparation requirements
collect all transcripts (Gavilan and any college attended)
collect all test scores (Advance Placement, CLEP, IBB)
calculate transferable units and transferable GPA and compare with minimum TA requirements
After completing the above steps, schedule a counseling appointment to review UC eligibility and TAG. You must hand-carry transcripts and test score information to your appointment. Counseling appointments can be scheduled online: www.gavilan.edu/counseling
Transfer Admissions Applications:
University of California Eligibility Links:
Students are limited to one UC TAG application.
* Please note: TAG Requirements are subject to change
Disclaimer: The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student. The information posted on this webpage is designed to assist you. The information is subject to change without notice which may subsequently impact your transfer admissions. You are encouraged to meet with your Gavilan counselor early in the planning process and often during the year prior to transfer.
UC Admission Application - My UC Application
- UC Transfer Pathways Guide Page: http://pathwaysguide.universityofcalifornia.edu/college-pathways/0/0
- UC transfer - This web site will identify the major preparations for transfer students interested in the UC system
- http://uctransfer.universityofcalifornia.edu/ - admissions information, planning guides, and resources.
Transferring to CSU
Lower Division Transfer Program - This web site helps students who are planning to transfer to a California State University by providing academic road maps for the completion of lower-division major preparation.
CSU Admissions Application - Cal State Apply
- Cal State Application Guide for Transfers
- Cal State Application Guide for Transfer Credit Entry
- Cal State Online Programs
- CSU Transfer Guarantees-www.ADegreeWithAGuarantee.com
Transferring to a private university
The Common Application - private or independent colleges
Certain private universities have completed course agreements with Gavilan College to facilitate student transfer. The following universities have provided students with a course transfer pattern that would maximize the credits earned at Gavilan:
ASSIST - ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California.
- Information on university majors and graduation requirements
- Assistance with filling out college applications
- Schedule meetings with university representatives
- Referrals to a counselor who will assist with educational planning
- CSU application fee waivers
- A library of current college catalogs
- A reference library of updated books on careers, internships, scholarships and occupational outlook
- Useful college and university internet sites
- Use the computerized career information program, EUREKA, which is designed to assist you in selecting a major or career.