A mental health counselor provided by the Santa Cruz Vet Center is on campus regularly to assist veterans with personal or family issues, PTSD, or any combat-related concern that a veteran may wish to discuss. The services are free of charge.
For more information about counseling in general, contact the Veterans Resource Center at 408-848-4787.
For academic counseling contact Dewitt Stuckey at 408-848-4893 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Counseling (requires Gav ID and email)
- Submit questions online and get answers via email within 2 business days;
- Limited services available online
Online Counseling - Webcam
Real-time, Webcam and Audio Interaction with a Counselor:
The platform we use for the video interaction is intuitive, user-friendly and requires no software download or installation. All you will need to do is "knock on the door" of one of our available counselors and meet them online!
What you need to participate:
- Any desktop or laptop computer with a camera (preferred)
- Use Chrome or Firebox as your web browser - you will have technical problems if you use other web browsers!
- Have your web camera ready and activated. Test your computer a day in advance to make sure it is ready for the online counseling session by visiting the Cranium Café website
- Have a headset with a microphone ready (your cell phone headphones will work great!)
- Android or Windows tablet device (video capabilities currently not supported for Apple iOS devices)
- Use Chrome
- Have your camera ready and activated. Test your equipment a day in advance to make sure it is ready for the online counseling session by visiting the Cranium Café website
- Have a headset with microphone ready (your cell phone headset will work great!)
How to prepare for the live interaction:
- Make sure there is proper lighting in the room.
- Make sure there is little to no background noise.
- No interruptions – Do not answer phone calls, texts or surf the web during the session. It is important to give your full attention to the counselor.
- Be respectful when communicating with your counselor.
- Virtual Drop-In sessions are designed to address quick concerns. Virtual appointments will be available Fall 2018.
Online counselors will be available starting on March 19, 2018. Spring schedule for online "drop-in" sessions will be:
|DATE||START TIME||END TIME|
|Monday, March 19, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, March 26, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, April 9, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, April 16, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, April 30, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, May 7, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, May 14, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
|Monday, May 21, 2018||8:30 a.m.||10:30 a.m.|
- You may meet with a counselor during the hours listed above by "knocking" on the virtual door of an available counselor (indicated by a green button on their Cafe Card, shown below).
- You will then be prompted to login using your Gavilan ID and password to authenticate as a student at Gavilan before beginning your session.
- Your session will begin with a text chat window and it will be replaced by a video window once the counselor "invites you in."
*Please note, all online counseling sessions will be recorded for record-keeping purposes.Video chat on Cranium Cafe with Dewitt Stuckey
To schedule a VRC counseling appointment, please contact Rosalinda Barbosa.Video chat on Cranium Cafe with Rosalinda Barbosa-Moreno