Skip main navigation

myDegreeWorks logo



Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

question What is myDegreeWorks?

myDegreeWorks is a web-based tool to help students monitor progress toward Gavilan degree or certificate completion. DegreeWorks looks at the requirements listed in the college catalog and overlays the coursework completed. The result is an easy-to-read evaluation (audit) of the requirements that have been met and those that must be completed. myDegreeWorks also has an Educational Plan option that allows students and their counselors to plan for future coursework and determine the time required to complete objectives.

questionWho can use myDegreeWorks?

All students with a Gavilan ID and PIN can use myDegreeWorks. Prospective students must submit a college application to obtain access. Counselors and other authorized staff (Financial Aid Office and Admissions Office) has limited access for the purpose of supporting students' request for financial aid and graduation petitions.

question Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes you use through the Gavilan Self-Service Banner- MY Gav Portal, myDegreeWorks is accessed through your secure log in. Remember that your counselor and authorized staff will be able to view the information.

questionCan I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. However, if you double-click a course on your audit worksheet, you will get a course description and information as to whether the course will be offered during term of registration. To register for a class you must do so through Self-Service Banner, student tab, registration link.

FAQs on Audits

questionWhat is an audit?

A myDegreeWorks audit is a review of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree or certificate. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Graduation Requirements, Major Requirements, and General Education Requirements (Gavilan GE, IGETC GE, or CSU GE) . Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

question How current will my information be in myDegreeWorks?

The information in myDegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in myDegreeWorks tomorrow.

question Are my grades visible in myDegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in myDegreeWorks.

question Can I see a list of all the classes I've taken?

Yes. On the Worksheets tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a list of courses taken at Gavilan College.

question Could Gavilan test scores clear Reading and Math competencies?

If your scores are eligible to clear Gavilan's Reading and Math competencies, the audit will show the area as cleared with a green check mark.

questionDoes DegreeWorks include my AP credit and course work from other colleges?

AP scores and transcripts from other colleges must be evaluated by a counselor prior to granting credit on the audit. Students must initiate the evaluation by scheduling a in-person counseling appointment. Official records (test scores and transcripts) must be submitted to the Admissions and Records office.

question Why are my courses still in the In-Progress section of the audit when I already received grades?

Each term myDegreeWorks will reset the In-Progress term to the upcoming term. This will happen the day after completion of grade processing.

questionHow do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline courses needed to meet  your degree or certificate requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your course selections with your counselor. Students with and educational plan will be able to follow the course sequences listed on the plan.

question I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?

Please ask your counselor for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and courses of action:

My major is wrong on my audit.
If you have not officially changed your major, contact your counselor for instructions. If you have already officially changed your major with counselor review, the Degree Works audit will display your active degree one week after the Major Change Form was submitted to the Admissions Office.

The General Education block is wrong.
If the general education block displayed on the worksheet is incorrect, you can change to a different option. Log into your Banner Self-Service- My Gav account, select the 'student tab', select 'Self-Servive Banner', select the 'Student' tab, then scroll to the bottom of the page to 'Select your General Education Pattern'. You will have to choose one of the patterns (IGETC, CSU, or Gavilan). Once you select the pattern, the change will be noted on your myDegreeWorks Worksheet the next day.

The requirements for my major are wrong.

Look at the catalog term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records this is the catalog year that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, contact your counselor to review you catalog rights.

My transfer courses don't appear in the right place.
After a formal transcript evaluation, a counselor will apply courses to general education or major requirements. The notes will indicate other courses that are transferable and were not used on the audit. If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact your counselor.

Classes are not applying in the "right" place.
myDegreeWorks uses a "best fit" approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact your counselor.

My Course Substitution/Waiver Form was approved, but it's not showing on my audit.
Review the Petitions tab. The status of all course waivers or substitutions are noted in Petitions Tab. If your request was approved, schedule an appointment with your counselor so they can add the exception(s) to your audit.

My certificate is missing from my audit.

If you have not officially declared that you are pursuing an Associates degree along with a certificate, meet with a counselor to update your degree objectives. If you have already officially updated your academic objectives, from the Worksheet tab, pull the menu down where the degree program is identified.

If none of these problems describe your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what's wrong, contact your counselor. If the counselor believes a technical error exists on the audit, they will address the situation until it is corrected.

question My counselor verified that I met all graduation requirements, but myDegreeWorks says that I haven't completed all my requirements. Does this mean that I won't be able to graduate?

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current term or posting work completed at another college. If you have followed through on all requirements you were told to complete, you should still be on track for graduation. Contact your counselor as soon as possible.

question When should I look at my degree audit?
You should always review your audit:
1. Before you meet with your counselor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
2. After you register to make sure courses apply to your requirements like you thought they would.
3. After your grades for each semester are posted.
4. Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.
questionHow is my degree audit different from my transcript?
Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.
questionHow does DegreeWorks decide where to place courses that I've completed?
DegreeWorks looks at your program holistically, and places each course using a "best fit" scenario. The "best fit" process will not always be perfect, particularly when multiple possibilities exist. Classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have a course that does not appear in the area in which you expected, please contact your counselor for assistance.
questionDegreeWorks placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?
In most cases, yes. myDegreeWorks is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any questions, contact your counselor.
question I earned credit before I came to Gavilan College. How does this appear on my audit?
The courses will will only appear on the audit if you initiated a transcript evaluation from a counselor. If you have done this, your courses will be listed on the audit as a Force Complete or Apply Here designation with the following information: (T_Name of College) GE Requirement Area, Coursework, units, and grade. If your audit does not look like you expected it to, please contact your counselor.
questionAre there requirements for graduation that DegreeWorks doesn't check?
A few. While myDegreeWorks has been designed to check almost everything that you must complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional or changes in requirements for your major that must be completed as well. You should use myDegreeWorks in conjunction with your educational plan and any catalog information to ensure that you remain on track for graduation. If you have questions about any additional requirements for your major, talk with your counselor.
question I petitioned to waive/substitute a course. How will that course appear on DegreeWorks?
After it goes through the approval process, a counselor will record the exception.
question I'm pursuing multiple degree objectives (AA and an AS, an AA and CA, etc). Only one appears on the audit. How can I check the requirements for my other program of study?
Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You'll notice that the Degree Program box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second degree. Once you select on this, an audit with the additional major will display.
question I repeated a course and I don't understand how it appears on the degree audit. Can you explain this to me?
If you successfully repeat a course, only your last attempt counts toward degree requirements. The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in a "Non-credit" category at the bottom of your audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.
question I've seen the '@' symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?
This is a wild card in DegreeWorks. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100:499), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 100-400 level course from any subject area). If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSYC @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology).
question Who should I contact if I still have questions or disagree with the audit?
Please contact your Gavilan Counselor. Schedule an appointment using the web:
question What is a FERPA restriction?
FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. More information about FERPA is located in the college catalog. Under the Act students can opt to restrict their educational records. To place or remove a restriction a student will enter Self Service Banner and go to the 'Change Address Information' on the Student Records Main Menu. On this screen, the question 'Please restrict all directory information?' must be answered - it allows a yes or no answer. Once the answer is set to yes, a restriction is added the student’s record. At this point no information about the student is permitted to be disclosed without written, signed consent. This includes directory information, verification of enrollment and degree etc.

FAQs on Educational Plans

question My plan is considered "official". Does it mean I have to take the classes listed?

Students receiving Financial Aid, Veteran Benefits, or are part of categorical programs (DRC, EOPS, CALWorks, Puente, TRIO, MESA) are required to have Official Educational Plans and are expected to follow the plan as designed. The plan is a guide to help you attain your goals. Sometimes planned courses are not offered in the term planned thus making it impossible for you to strictly follow the course established by you and your counselor. If you are required to follow your "official" plan, discuss with your counselor any anticipated changes PRIOR to initiating changes to courses listed on your plan.

question What is a "tentative plan"?

Most students will have tentative plans which only means that changes to the plan can occur. Be advised that some courses listed on your plan may be either pre-requisites or sequential courses that must be taken when planned or risk adding time to complete degree. You can ask your counselor to designate your plan from tentative to an "official" status.

question I can't see my plan. Why?

You do not have a plan if you can't see one on the EdPlan tab. If you know you created a plan with your counselor then the plan disappeared because you changed your major. You must schedule a counseling appointment to develop your plan.

question Do I need an educational plan. Why?

Yes. All students who want to maintain their eligibility for priority registration must have an educational plan on myDegreeWorks. All students receiving financial aid or enrolled in special programs (TRIO, MESA, STEM, EOPS, etc) are also required to have an educational plan. The educational plan will outline all courses (development, pre-requisites, and sequential) required to meet educational and career objectives.

question Can I change how the plan is displayed?

Educational plans can be viewed in Notes or Calendar formats. Select the arrow on the Note Mode option, select Calendar, and then click on the Load button. The Calendar format will not display term notes placed by the counselor. Print options are available for all view formats.

question How do I update my plan?

If the plan no longer reflects your goals or time line, update your plan by scheduling an appointment with a counselor. Book your appointment online: Appointments are available the following months: September, October, November, December, February, March, April, and May

FAQs on What If Audits

question I want to change my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?
You can use the "What if" option located on the left side of the screen from the Worksheet tab. Select a Degree and your Catalog term or any catalog year after your official catalog year. You can select different majors and see how your courses will apply. If you decide you'd like to change your major, schedule a counseling appointment to complete a Change of Major form.
question Can my counselor see my What If scenario?
Since What If scenarios are not stored on myDegreeWorks, your counselor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together. You can also print a copy to show your counselor.

FAQs on the GPA Calculator

question What does Graduation Calculator show?
The Graduation Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show what average you will need in your remaining credits to graduate with your desired GPA.
question What does the Term Calculator show?
The Term Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show an estimate of your cumulative GPA. myDegreeWorks will pull in your current earned credits and GPA and place your in-progress courses in the table where you can then select the anticipated grade for each course. You will then see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided. The cumulative GPA excludes credit not taken at Gavilan.
 question What does the Advice GPA Calculator show?
The Advice GPA Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show various credit and grade scenarios in order for you to achieve your desired cumulative GPA. The cumulative GPA excludes credit not taken at Gavilan.
question Is the calculated GPA guaranteed?
No. This is an estimate only.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Please see a Gavilan College Counselor.

Last modified: February 21, 2013
Gavilan College Red Diamond 5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard Red Diamond Gilroy, CA 95020 Red Diamond (408) 848-4800