JOUR18B: PRINT AND DIGITAL NEWS II
Students will take leadership roles and be placed in a deadline-driven newsroom environment with close attention to teamwork, responsibility and objectivity. Students will interview, write, photograph and do computer-assisted design and graphics for the college newspaper and/or online Gavilan Press. In doing this, they provide the community with an important first amendment forum, learn and educate about first amendment rights and responsibilities and acquire journalistic skills, ethics and habits. (C-ID: JOUR 131) PREREQUISITE: Journalism 18A.
- Students will define relevant news content.
- Gather news information
- Students will edit news and information into publishable form, with attention to accuracy, clarity, thoroughness, fairness, AP style, and media law and ethics
- Develop effective design/layout for story presentation
- Assess legal and ethical issues affecting media
- Develop news and feature stories through written, visual, audio, video or other multimedia formats and determine the best format for telling a story
- Develop leadership and management skills as an editor