JLE175: DISPATCH ACADEMY
This 120 hour Basic Course satisfies the Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) minimum training requirements for entry level dispatchers. The course also prepares each student for the fundamental principles, procedures, techniques, and duties of a public safety dispatcher within the law enforcement agency including: Ethics and Professionalism, Criminal Justice System, Workplace Communication, Telephone Technology and Procedures, Missing Persons, Domestic Violence, Community Policing, Cultural Diversity, Law enforcement Technologies, Radio Technologies and Procedures, Critical Incidents, and an overview of many other aspects of public safety. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 420
- Demonstrate professional demeanor and ethical behavior and the ability to effectively communicate.
- Explain how crimes are defined and classified; the difference between civil and criminal issues; different types of crimes; and an understanding of the dispatcher’s liability and relationship to law.
- Develop techniques for handling callers and maintaining control of conversations.
- Examine missing person laws, identify the different types of missing persons; and develop techniques for proper handling of missing persons calls.
- Review the historical background of domestic violence calls; knowledge of domestic violence laws; and demonstrate techniques for handling domestic violence calls
- Identify techniques for dealing with diversity issues; summarize what classifies a hate crime.
- Identify various telecommunications and radio technology systems and how they interact demonstrate techniques for handling the radio in a professional manner.
- Compose an overview of the various resource materials used in the Communications Center and demonstrate techniques for using maps and providing specific directions.
- Identify techniques for handling critical incident calls, summarize the mutual aid systems, and list resources available through mutual aid.
- Recognize sources and symptoms of stress, and identify techniques for dealing with stressful situations.