JFT3: FIRE MANAGEMENT I
This is a required course for Level 1 Fire Officer certification. The curriculum includes management styles of leadership; promoting group cooperation; types of verbal orders; interpreting and implementing policies; methods of dealing with subordinates; duties and responsibilities of rank; line and staff function; emotional and behavioral characteristics of individuals and working groups; group behavior within the organization; personnel procedures; types of corrective action, personnel interviews and counseling. PREREQUISITE: Fire Fighter 1 Certification A & B or equivalent. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 420.
- Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the work of members assigned to your crew.
- Demonstrate the relationship of long-range goals, medium-range goals, short-range goals and how they evolve into immediate plans and objectives.
- Convey an idea or directive accurately, briefly, and clearly in written form.
- Describe delegation techniques and the company officer's role in the process of using the three phases of delegation skills.
- Identify the minimum components of an effective organizer and the concept of time activation.
- Distinguish the difference between leaders and managers, their common leadership styles and traits and their power within the organizations.
- Describe the eight steps in the decision-making process and what is meant by curing symptoms instead of curing the problem