ESL582: ESL PRONUNCIATION II
ESL Pronunciation II is the second in a series of courses designed to give ESL students extra practice with their pronunciation. After reviewing vowel and consonant sounds, students will approach pronunciation through use of word stress, sentence rhythm, and discourse intonation. This is a pass/no pass course. ADVISORY: ESL 531, ESL 581, or ESL assessment recommendation.
- Utilize IPA symbols to describe the sounds in a word.
- Recognize, differentiate between and produce vowel and consonant sounds, clusters and dipthongs.
- Differentiate between content and structure words and adjust pronunciation accordingly.
- Demonstrate effective emphasis in sentences.
- Apply rules of grammar and punctuation and reframe ideas into thought groups.
- Interpret conversation flow and vary emphasis patterns accordingly.
- Employ correct pitch (ascending or descending) according to question type.