This Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) course is designed to provide the student with current tactics and techniques associated with planning, entries, searching, and evacuating in high risk police actions. Topics include tactical movements and entries, hostage situations, tactical assaults, multi-weapon use, sniper tactics, combat tactics, and use of gas masks and other personal protective equipment. This is a pass/no pass course. ADVISORY: JLE 100 or possess POST basic training certificate to qualify for peace officer status.
- Develop effective communication skills in combination with arrest and control techniques that will optimize performance and decision making during high-risk situations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in breaching an inward opening door, and planning and executing an entry with a door breach.
- Demonstrate proper technique and skill using the police baton.
- Demonstrate proficiency with department issued firearms on a range qualification course and classroom exercises
- Demonstrate proper transition from long barrel or high capacity weapons to handgun use.
- Identify and demonstrate proper techniques for a barricaded suspect vs. hostage situation.
- List the benefits and risks of using a"flash-bang.
- Demonstrate and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes presented in this course to a monitored practical exercise simulating an actual special threat situation.