SOC21: MARRIAGE & FAMILY
Survey of information for preparation for marriage, including dating, courtship, engagement, mate selection, gender roles and rules, adjustment and parenthood. The course will also cover the study of families and how they function. Special attention will be given to how our changing culture and work demands bring about added stress and change to the family, causing increased dysfunction and crisis. (C-ID: SOCI 130) ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Distinguish between healthy and unhealthy individuals and family patterns of interactions.
- Demonstrate functional communication and parenting styles.
- List key principles of premarital patterns of dating and choosing a mate.
- Evaluate the current state of marriage using a historical perspective.
- Assess the influence that myths have on ones expectations in dating and marriage.