you preparing to transfer to a four year university? If so, planning for your
transition now will guarantee a smooth and easy transition from Gavilan to the
institution of your choice. Follow the recommended PLAN FOR SUCCESS:
First Year at
- Meet with a counselor and inform him/her of your intent to transfer.
- Request a current copy of the general education pattern you wish to follow (IGETC
- Refer to the Gavilan catalog for course descriptions.
- Begin to investigate possible major choices.
- Develop an educational plan with a counselor.
- Request that all high school and college transcripts be sent to Gavilan.
Second Year at
- Meet with counselor to discuss academic progress and major choice.
- Update educational plan to include major preparation courses.
- Consider participating in student clubs, student government, etc.
- Identify at least 3 universities and check the required major preparation.
eligibility for an Associates Degree from Gavilan.
Third Year at
- Meet with counselor to discuss course selections and to review educational plan.
- Verify completion of units, general education, and major preparation.
- Update educational plan, if necessary.
- Apply for scholarships and financial aid.
- Apply for college admissions.
- Submit a Gavilan graduation petition.
- Read all of your correspondence from universities.
- Follow university instructions and meet deadlines.
- Keep copies of all correspondance
- Send official transcript showing work completed and courses in progress for
- At the end of the semester, request two copies of your final transcripts (spring
grades included) and a G.E. certification. One copy is sent to the university
that you plan to attend and the second copy is for you to keep for your personal