STEM Summer Bridge 2018
ATTENTION: HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS!
Are you planning on attending Gavilan College in the fall of 2018?
Are you majoring in a STEM degree? (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) OR
- Are you interested in learning about the careers available in STEM?
- Would you like to learn about the opportunities available to STEM students at Gavilan College and at the same time, earn transferrable credits and refresh your math skills?
- Would you like to meet other likeminded students and be part of a community of academic support composed of students, faculty, counselors and staff?
INTRODUCING: STEM SUMMER BRIDGE, 2018
- Explore the various careers available in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, identify the job of your dreams, and then plan an educational path towards attainment of that dream.
- Join a community of STEM students, faculty, counselors and staff that nurtures and promotes academic excellence and prepares students to meet the challenging requirements of STEM coursework.
- Get an Educational Plan from our full-time STEM counselor that will streamline your classes so that you can transfer sooner to a four year college and complete your degree in a timely manner.
- Learn about the resources available to you at Gavilan College in financial aid and scholarships, academic support, paid summer internships and other types of employment.
- Build a solid foundation of mathematical and scientific knowledge that will launch you to earn a four year degree and a well- paying STEM career.
What is the STEM Summer Bridge?
The STEM Summer Bridge begins with a three week, 2 unit UC/CSU transferrable Guidance 6 class offered June 25th to July 13th , MWF, 12:30-4:30. Students will then take the appropriate Math Bootcamp offered in August to review mathematical topics and hone their math skills to prepare them for the math class that they will take in the Fall.
As a BONUS: Students who successfully complete the program will receive $500.
The STEM Academy summer program:
- Provides you with information about STEM careers, internships, and educational opportunities.
- Helps you with your resume and financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Provides you with a peer mentor to guide you through the challenges of being a college student.
- Prepares you for taking Math in the Fall.
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligible students are:
- Majoring in a STEM field, or interested in exploring careers in STEM.
- Enrolled in 10 or more units and new to Gavilan College.
- Incoming freshmen.
What are the benefits of membership?
In addition to the benefits already listed, students in the program will:
- Have access to a loan program for academic supplies such as books and calculators.
- Have the support of the STEM Counselor and peer mentor.
What are membership requirements?
All STEM Academy students must:
- Complete the Summer Program
- Be enrolled in 10+ units a semester
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Take a math class in the fall semester.
- Spend 3 hours/week in the STEM Center, Math Lab, MESA or AEW’s working on STEM coursework.
How do I apply?
Return a completed application packet to Marla Dresch, Office LS114, (408) 846-4915, email@example.com.