STEM Accleration Academy
Gavilan College is currently accepting applications to
The STEM Acceleration Academy
- Join a community of STEM students, faculty, counselors and staff that nurtures and promotes academic excellence and prepares students to meet the challenging requirements of STEM programs.
- Get help in streamlining your coursework so that you can transfer sooner to a four year college and complete your degree in a timely manner.
- Increase your chances of earning a paid summer internship to get real life experience working in the STEM field.
- Build a solid foundation of mathematical and scientific knowledge that will lead to a four year degree and a well paying STEM career.
What is the STEM Acceleration Academy? The STEM Acceleration Academy begins with a 6 day Math Preparation Workshop
for students who will be taking Accelerated Precalculus in the Spring Semester. The workshop will meet from 9-4 with a half hour break from Wednesday, January 17th to Wednesday January 24th and will provide you with:
- Review of linear, quadratic, radical, rational and logarithmic functions, equations, graphs and applications;
- Information about STEM careers, internships, and educational opportunities;
- A support system for you to help you with the rigorous STEM course requirements.
Students who successfully complete the program will receive $100.
Students will then enroll in:
- Math 8A, CRN 40286, Jan. 29-Mar. 22, and
- Math 8B, CRN 40287, March 26-May 24th
offered Monday-Thursday, 7:30-9:35 AM with Erik Medina.
Students who successfully complete Math 8A and 8B will receive an additional $400 stipend.
Who is eligible to apply? Eligible students are majoring in a STEM field, enrolled in Accelerated Precalculus in Spring, 2018 and full-time students (or enrolled in 10+ units)
What are the benefits of membership? STEM Academy students will:
- Receive guidance and help in their academic pursuits from the start of the Math Preparation Workshop until they transfer to a four year university, provided they maintain the requirements of membership,
- Benefit from a support team made up of a faculty advisor and STEM counselor,
- Have access to a loan program for academic supplies such as books and calculators.
- Have the opportunity to attend STEM conferences and receive a paid summer internships.
What are membership requirements? All STEM Academy students must:
- Complete the Math Preparation Workshop
- Be enrolled in 10+ units a semester
- Be majoring in a STEM field
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Meet with STEM counselor and/or their faculty mentor a minimum of four times a semester.
- Get tutoring, attend Academic Excellence Workshops and Supplemental Instruction, if needed.
How do I apply?
To join the STEM Accelerate Academy online, CLICK HERE or fill out an Application form (found in the STEM center), and submit it to Ms. Marla Dresch at (408) 846-4915, email@example.com or Erik Medina at (408) 852-2862, firstname.lastname@example.org.