STEM Accleration Academy
Gavilan College is currently accepting applications to
The STEM Acceleration Academy
- Join a community of STEM students, faculty, counselors and staff that nurtures and promotes academic excellence and prepares students to meet the challenging requirements of STEM programs.
- Get help in streamlining your coursework so that you can transfer sooner to a four year college and complete your degree in a timely manner.
- Increase your chances of earning a paid summer internship to get real life experience working in the STEM field.
- Build a solid foundation of mathematical and scientific knowledge that will lead to a four year degree and a well paying STEM career.
What is the STEM Acceleration Academy?
The STEM Acceleration Academy begins with a 5 day STEM Symposium where students will: explore careers in STEM; hear from STEM professionals, instructors and students; learn about internship opportunities, transfer programs and other topics. The STEM Symposium meets Monday August 6th thru Thursday August 9th and Monday August 13th from 9-4 with a half hour break.
Students will then review and hone their math skills in the Math Preparation Workshop which will meet from 9-4 with a half hour break from Tuesday, August 14th to Wednesday August 22nd.
Students who successfully complete both the STEM Symposium and the Math Preparation Workshop will receive a stipend of $500.
Students will then enroll in Math 240 and Math 8A, offered Monday-Thursday, 8:30-9:35 AM with Ken Wagman.
Students who successfully complete Math 240 and 8A will receive an additional $500 stipend
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligible students are majoring in a STEM field, enrolled in Accelerated Math 240/8A in fall of 2018 and full-time students (or enrolled in 10+ units)
What are the benefits of membership?
STEM Academy students will;
- Receive guidance and help in their academic pursuits from the start of the program until they transfer to a four year university, provided they maintain the requirements of membership,
- Benefit from a support team made up of a faculty mentor, STEM counselor, and peer mentor.
- Have access to a loan program for academic supplies such as books and calculators.
What are membership requirements?
All STEM Academy students must:
- Complete the STEM Symposium and Math Preparation Workshop
- Be enrolled in 10+ units a semester
- Be majoring in a STEM field
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Meet with STEM counselor and/or their faculty mentor a minimum of four times a semester.
Get tutoring, attend Academic Excellence Workshops or Supplemental Instruction
How do I apply?
There are 3 ways:
- Grab a copy of the application form from the STEM center at Gavilan College (MA102). Fill it up and submit it
- Download the application form from below, fill it up, and mail it.
- Apply online!
|Download the application||Do it Online!|
|Already a STEM Acceleration Academy Member?||Download the Renew Application Form|
To join the STEM Accelerate Academy online, or fill out an Application form (found in the STEM center), and submit it to Ms. Marla Dresch at LS 114, (408) 846-4915, firstname.lastname@example.org