EDEN HOUSING RESIDENT SERVICES: SOBRATO, JASMINE SQUARE, PARK PLACE
Mission: Discovery Counseling Center helps people discover tools to build personal wholeness, healthy families, and a thriving community. The Bridge Afterschool program provides tutoring for at-risk, low-income, predominately ESL, Kinder - 8th grade students and resources for their families. The Bridge program includes a focus on reading development and comprehension as well as math skills and life skills. Bridge serves as a connection between families, community, and school.
Activities: After-school program to help with academic, social, and Life Skills.
Provide individual tutoring assistance and help kids with their homework in subjects such as: English, Reading, History, Math, Social studies, Science, Art projects, Life Skills, etc. Engage with students in games and activities, assist with related enrichment activities.
Needs this semester:
- Sobrato Transitional Family Apartments.
- Sobrato Transitional Housing Family Community Center (9369 Monterey Rd, Gilroy 95020)
- Bridge Program at Sobrato Family Apartments is open: Monday - Thursday from 3:15 to 5:15 pm.
- Park Place Apartments:
- Park Place Community Room (16480 Del Monte Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037)
- Bridge Program at Park Place is open: Monday – Thursday from 2:45-5:15
- Jasmine Square Apartments:
- Jasmine Square Community Room (16530 Monterey Rd, Morgan Hill, CA 95037)
- Bridge Program at Jasmine Square Apartments is open: Monday - Thursday from 3:15 to 5:15 pm.
Who should apply: Reliable, responsible people who want to work with YOUTH. If you enjoy kids and want to work with them on literacy and other school skills.
Expectations: Expect to engage with students. Please stay off your phone during your time here. Must be able to pass background check--DUIs or misdemeanors are permissible. Special interest at this agency in Gavilan students who are able to work well with second language learners. Dress appropriately for work with children--closed shoes, low heels, nothing low-cut, skin-tight, or suggestive of gang membership. Please be prompt in all your visits to this agency, and remember that the staff are busy professionals. Courtesy and good communication about any concerns that arise are essential to a positive experience for everyone. TB test not required.
Don’t apply if: Low-income neighborhoods are uncomfortable for you to be in or if you have negative judgements about people based on their income or immigration status. Don’t apply if you don't like working with children. Students with convictions for drug dealing, fraud, or violent crime, cannot participate in this program.
Required Orientation to Participate: STUDENTS MUST RSVP TO ATTEND
RSVP to Michelle Montoya: 408.427.1595; email@example.com)
Orientations will be cancelled if there is no/low response.
Select one orientation to attend - at any site, regardless of where you intend to work.
- Discovery Counseling Center: Friday 9/13 - 3 pm; 16275 Monterey Rd. Ste C. MH
- Sobrato Family Apts., Gilroy: Monday 9/16 – 5:15 pm; 9369 Monterey Rd, Gilroy.
- Jasmine Square Apts., Morgan Hill: Tuesday 9/17 - 5:30 pm; 16530 Monterey Rd, MH
- Park Place Apts., Morgan Hill: Wed. 9/18 - 5:30 pm; 16480 Del Monte Ave, MH
Special Notes: Orientations are required. Please call to confirm, come on time, and call ahead if you have an emergency that prevents you from coming on time.
Phone: Office. 408.778.5120. ext. 130; Cell. 408.427.1595;
Last updated 8/12/19