Adapted Physical Education
Adapted Physical Education is a program designed for students with disabilities. Classes offered enable students to improve flexibility and range of motion, increase joint movement, improve control of body movements. Special attention is given to activity programs that meet the interest and individual functional capacities of students who may not safely or successfully engage in the activities of the regular Physical Education/Kinesiology program.
Classes are provided through a number of water and gym activities.
- Adapted Aquatic Exercise
- Adapted Swimming for Total Fitness
- Adapted Physical Education
- Adapted Cardiovascular Conditioning & Training
Two outdoor pools are used for aerobic and swim classes. Our pools are maintained year round and kept at a comfortable 85-87 degrees. Both pools have Hydraulic Lifts.
Gavilan College has a state-of-the-art Fitness Center and Mini Gym Facility.
We offer a mini gym that is a great facility for wheelchair basketball and related wheelchair exercises. The floor material is firm, yet soft, ideal for floor exercises. The gym includes an adjustable basketball rim, floor marking for badminton and basketball.
The Fitness Center is a facility containing the very finest in exercise equipment.
- Monark Stationary Bikes
- Five Scifit Machines (wheelchair accessible) - Elliptical & Bicycle
- Three Trackmaster Treadmills
- Four Flexicisers (primarily used by wheelchair students)
Strength, balance and stretching equipment available for student use:
- Uppertone Machines - specifically designed for wheelchair students but useful for other individuals with disabilities
- Easy Stand 6000 - standing frame for upper and lower extremity use
- K.A.T. Balance Trainer - excellent for improving balance due to injury and/or post surgery
- Magnum Fitness Systems - Fourteen individual machines each designed for specific muscular groups
- Stair Climber - Improve strength and balance
- Stretching Tables