Alternate Media Student Procedures
To request the alternate media formats, please submit the Alternate Media Request Form below:
• Eligibility for this service is determined by the Accessible Education Center LD Specialists, Counselors, or Associate Dean and is based in part on the professional documentation provided by the student.
• Alternate media must be requested each semester as needed. For each title requested, the appropriate request form must be completed and given to the High Tech Center staff. (There is no guarantee of providing an alternate media format if the student will not let us remove the bookbinding, so we can scan the textbook).
• Students requesting materials in alternative formats must own a physical copy of the textbook or other course material, or obtain said materials before the alternate media will be distributed. If you rent or sell your book back to the bookstore, you must return or delete the alternate media.
• Requests for materials in alternative format will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Once a request is made, preference will be given to the format specified by the student. However, the recommendation of AEC professionals will be used in determining the specific media format for each academic request.
• The decision whether or not to fill a request for optional course materials will be made through consulting with the student and the course instructor. • Alternative format requests must be submitted as soon as the student learns of the need; late requests will be honored provided that the student making the request understands that the High Tech Center staff will set the timeline for the completion of the work accordingly.
• Turn-a-round times for alternative format requests are determined on a case-by-case basis. Upon review of material to be formatted and converted, the High Tech Center staff will notify the student of the projected completion date. AEC will make every effort to complete the request in a timely manner.
• The student will not copy or reproduce any material provided by AEC, nor allow anyone else to do so. Misuse of this material may result in disciplinary action by Gavilan College.
• Students will be provided with one alternative format copy for each material required for academic use. This media is copyrighted and may not be reproduced or distributed in a format other than a specialized format exclusively for use by blind or other persons with disabilities. Any further reproduction or distribution in a format other than a specialized format is an infringement.
• A copy of the receipt of the textbook purchased or rented is required by copyright law in order to receive your alternate media format. AEC will notify students when the first installment of their materials is available. If the student fails to provide a receipt of the textbook, AEC will not upload or mail the alternate media.
• Student questions regarding alternative format should be addressed directly to the High Tech Center staff, Marina Lares (669-253-6197; email@example.com) or Priscilla de Anda (831-313-2256; firstname.lastname@example.org.