Overtime Thriller

by Sep 14, 2019

Eureke, CA – Despite the defense scoring two touchdowns and both quarterbacks throwing for one score each, the Rams came up short in a double overtime thriller to the College of the Redwoods by a score of 32-29 on the road this past Saturday.

After a Ram three and out to open the game, it was Nathan Aguayo on the second defensive play for Gavilan, who intercepted a pass out to the sideline and returned it 17 yards for the touchdown to give the Rams a quick 7-0 lead and the defense wasn't ready to stop. On the very next drive for the Redwoods on third down, it was Matt Wiitanen picking off the quarterback 47 yards for another Ram touchdown. This was Wiitanen’s second straight game with a pick six, who celebrated his accomplishment with a group of family members who flew down from Washington to see him play. After the p.a.t., it was a quick 14-0 lead for the Rams.

The Redwoods would answer back scoring on the very next drive to bring them within one score. After both teams drives failed to score any points on the board, Redwoods stuck with a 56 yard touchdown pass. However after going for the two-point conversion and failing, the Rams held on to a 14-13 lead.

As the start of the 2nd quarter got under way, lightning struck twice for the home team once again as they scored on another deep pass this time from 52 yards out to take a 20-14 lead.  Showing their toughness and determination that has everyone around campus excited about this year’s Rams, they went on a 9 play 66 yard drive that was completed when Raul Garnica hit Jake Rhine in the corner of the endzone for a 20 yard touchdown pass to take the lead back at 21-20.

Back up in their own territory, the Rams were forced to take a safety after a snap went over the head of quarterback John Bell, and just like that the Redwoods were back on top 22-21.  With just under 5 minutes left in the half, the Redwoods scored on a 13 yard touchdown pass to take a 29-21 lead which would hold going into the half.

Neither team was able to get any points on the board in the third quarter, as both starting quarterbacks were out of the game due to various reasons.  The to start the 4th  quarter Bell took the Rams on a 10 play 90 yard drive that cumulated in a 25 yard touchdown pass to Andrew Richelle, to get the Rams with in two. It was Wiitanen who kept the ball from the Wildcat formation to convert the two point attempt knotting the score up at 29-29.

Neither team would score again in regulation. After the Rams kept the Redwoods off the score board in their first offensive possession it appeared Gavilan won the game when Rich Denton lunged for the goal line only to be called down by the line judge. From the far right hash, the Rams field goal attempt to win the game sailed outside the goal post to send the game into a second overtime period. Gavilan was unable to move the ball and missed on their field goal try. The Redwoods were also unable to pick up a first down, but their field goal attempt crossed through the goal post giving them the win.

The Rams are now 1-1 on the season and will be back in action at home on Saturday as they take on De Anza College at 1 pm at the Garcia-Elder Sports Complex at Gilroy High. Go Rams!