|COURSE CONTENT AND SCHEDULE:
This class will cover Chapter 1 through
Chapter 7 in the first semester, and Chapter 8 through
Chapter 15 in the second semester. Each lesson will take
approximately 7 to 8 days or 1 and 1/2 weeks.
A more complete scope and sequence for this class can be found in your
TEXT AND WORKBOOK
¡Arriba! 6th Edition, Text + Student Activities Manual, Published by
Textbook Organization and Features:
- Flexibility and ease of use
- Presents essential communicative functions and structures along
with basic cultural information about the countries that make up the
Hispanic world in 15 thematically organized chapters.
- Content is divided into three distinct sections, Primera parte,
Segunda parte, and Nuestro Mundo.
- Facilitates use and retention of new vocabulary words through
- Primera parte and Segunda parte begin with ¡Así
lo decimos!, which presents vocabulary in practical, functional
groups to facilitate student retention.
- ¡Así es la vida! begins each of vocabulary section by
providing lively conversations that set the stage for the
communicative functions and culture to be presented formally later in
- Wide variety of practice activities, ranging from more guided to
more open-ended activities, as well as audio recordings and flashcards
are available online.
- Solid grounding in grammar for communication.
- Clear and concise grammar explanations with short, bulleted points
followed immediately by examples are what make up ¡Así lo hacemos!,
the grammar section.
- A wide variety of practice activities is provided for each
grammatical topic, moving from form-focused to meaning-focused to more
open-ended communicative activities.
- Student Learning Outcomes
- ¿Cuanto saben? boxes at the end of each part serve to
remind students of the communicative objectives for the chapter as
well as assist them in determining how well they have mastered the
- These boxes can also be used by instructors to assess Student
Learning Outcomes and determine whether students can perform the
communicative objectives. ¿Cuanto saben? boxes help in
identifying outcomes that coincide with ACTFL standards.
- Authentic culture and personalized experiences
- Perfiles (found in Primera parte) present
information on the Spanish-speaking world while allowing students to
compare this cultural information with their own.
- In Mi experiencia, the Para ti questions invite
students to reflect on their experiences within their own culture,
while the En tu opinión activities encourage them to discuss
topics further in small groups.
- Mi música offers students a more current sampling of music
from across the Spanish-speaking world.
MATERIALS AND SERVICES:
Fully integrated with iLearn,
the Gavilan online learning system,
textbook access, text and
activity manual audio files, video files, online practice exercises and
laboratory open Mo-Th 08:00a-06:00p; Fr 08:00a-02:00p
Tutors available in
the Learning Resource Center.
reading material in the library.
software in the computer lab.
Note: Language acquisition requires a process of
intensive communication and your participation is essential. Many
strategies are used to facilitate learning and to minimize any filter to
learning such as anxiety shyness and stress.
GRADING WILL BE
BASED ON THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
participation, preparation including homework, group work,
lab manual and
40% Two tests:
languages are learned and the relationship to study and class
sequence of study recommended.
Study on a daily
Take advantage of
all opportunities to increase your comprehension of
Maximum use of on-campus services.
Students requiring special services or arrangements because of hearing,
visual, or other disability should contact their instructor, counselor, or
the Disabled Student Services Office.
arrange their study schedule for this class to maximize time spent here at
Gavilan where resources are available.
Students must take
primary responsibility for effective use of study time.
However this will require extensive consultation with the instructor.
Policy Reference Statement:
expected to exercise academic honesty and integrity. Violations such
as cheating and plagiarism will result in disciplinary action which may
include recommendation for dismissal”