WHO: The Chancellor's Office of the California Community Colleges
WHAT: has approved Gavilan College's CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT in Kinesiology and Athletics: Personal Fitness Training. Upon completion of this certificate, students will be prepared to enter the workforce or to pursue a BA/BS in Kinesiology with emphasis in health and wellness, or exercise and fitness specialist.
The certificate requires successful completion of 18-19 units, consisting of:
Required Courses: 15-16 units Unit Value
BIO 15/ AH 15 - Survey of Anatomy & Physiology 5.0 units
KIN 3 – Intro to Athletic Training 4.0 units
AH32 –CPR or outside certification (Am Red Cross) 0.0-1.0 units
KIN 85 - Concepts/Program Design of Strength/Cardiovascular Fitness 3.0 units
KIN 84 - Assessment of Fitness Techniques 3.0 units
Total Core Courses 15-16
Elective: one of the following:
AH 11 – Nutrition 3.0 units
HE 1 – Health Education 3.0 units
Total elective: 3.0
Total units for the certificate 18-19
WHEN: Students may begin the program in Fall 2012, and may apply required classes that have already been completed to this certificate program.
WHY: The Gavilan College Kinesiology and Athletics department continues to grow and develop, providing structured, comprehensive and professional programs for students to prepare for higher education and careers in the health and fitness industry.
By completing this program, students will:
- gain industry knowledge
- develop marketable skills
- receive up-to-date, theoretical and technical knowledge regarding exercise science, fitness assessment, exercise prescription, program design/implementation, fitness and sport, nutrition, injury prevention, exercise physiology and training, and lifestyle/behavior modification
- begin to prepare for transfer to public and private four-year institutions where they may pursue a higher education in related health fields such as exercise physiology, sports medicine, nursing, athletic training, and health and wellness.
- build a solid foundation and be well prepared to pursue additional certifications through national organizations such as the American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), and the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).
- be prepared to pursue numerous careers in the health and fitness industry.
The Kinesiology and Athletics Department provides opportunities for students to participate in activity classes, pursue a professional career, transfer and compete in intercollegiate athletics. A variety of activity courses are offered to meet the interest and needs of all students as they fulfill the general education requirements, kinesiology graduation requirements, certificate requirements or their desire to maintain lifetime fitness.
This certificate joins three degree options in the Gavilan College Kinesiology and Athletics department: an Associate of Arts Degree with concentrations in Education, Sports Management or Sports Medicine. The AA degree can be obtained by completing a total of 60 units, which includes the 18-24 unit major, general education requirements and electives. These programs are designed to allow students to transfer into baccalaureate programs in kinesiology or related areas.
The study of kinesiology prepares students for professional fields include teaching, coaching, athletic training, physical therapy, exercise physiology, motor learning, sports management, sports psychology and personal fitness training. Potential employers include educational institutions, commercial health clubs, private/public fitness and sports centers, recreation departments and sports teams.
HOW: For information about enrollment, contact (408) 848-4800 or go to http://www.gavilan.edu