WHO: Gavilan College
WHAT: Will be awarding a record 594 degrees and certificates to the 2012 graduating class. These include 304 Associate of Arts degrees, 116 Associate of Science degrees, 151 Certificates of Achievement, 3 Awards of Achievement, and 20 Certificates of Proficiency (Some graduates are receiving more than one award.)
The program will begin with a processional as president Steven M. Kinsella leads the Board of Trustees, administrators, faculty and Class of 2012 down Sycamore Lane, across the campus bridge, and into the gymnasium.
- Keynote speaker: Teresa Alvarado. Ms. Teresa Alvarado, Communications Manager for the Santa Clara Valley Water District. Ms Alvarado previously served as the first executive director of the Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley. Most recently Ms. Alvarado worked as a consultant to FIRST 5 Santa Clara County. Ms. Alvarado has a Master of Science degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Tufts University and a Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Technology and Management from San Jose State University. She is a graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government Executive Education Program, Leadership Gilroy, Santa Cruz County Farm Bureau’s Focus Agriculture Program, Santa Clara County AFL-CIO’s Labor-Community Leadership Institute, and is an American Leadership Forum Silicon Valley senior fellow.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Michael Davenport, former Trustee, Gavilan College. In 2008 Mike was elected to the Gavilan College Board of Trustees. He remained on the board until his passing. The degree will be presented by Board of Trustees President Laura Perry, and accepted by Mrs. Terri Davenport.
- Mario Escudero, Incoming Associated Student Body President, will lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Grace Cardinalli, of Gavilan College Student Services, will sing the National Anthem.
- Dr. Kinsella will introduce the ceremony
- Associated Student Body President Joey Hayes will welcome family and friends.
- Ceramics instructor Jane Rekedal will present the Faculty Scholarships
- Rho Alpha Mu Advisor Jennifer Nari will confer Honor Society Life Memberships to students Roselyn Cohen, Avery Conant, Alyssa Coulter, Michelle Kara, Virginia Murillo, and Imelda Osana
- Dr. Kathleen Rose, Executive Vice President and Chief Instruction Officer, will present the Outstanding Scholar Award.
- Dr. Kinsella will confer degrees and certificates, assisted by Faculty-of-the-Year honorees Sabrina Lawrence and Peter Howell
The RAMbassadors Club will serve as Student Marshals, leading the graduates in the processional. The Associated Student Body will host a reception directly after the ceremony in the Student Center for all of the graduates, staff, and their guests. Admission to graduation is invitation-only due to limited seating.
WHEN: Friday, May 25, 6 p.m.
WHERE: Gavilan College Gymnasium, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd., Gilroy, CA