WHO: Youth ages 8 to 16
WHAT: The Gavilan College Summer Theatre Arts Repertory (STAR) Program is now accepting enrollment for STAR Gilroy 2009, its popular performing arts day camp. This summer, students will perform in the school version of GREASE, with music and lyrics by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.
STAR has been producing quality children's theater and programs for youth in the South Valley for the past 24 years. Participation in STAR Gilroy has become a summer tradition for many children and their families. The success of the program comes from a dedicated and creative staff that assembles every summer to provide a safe and fun theatre arts learning experience for the youth we serve. Program Coordinator, Janine Mortan, is one of the many STAR kids who have returned to the program to become a STAR leader:
"I hold a very special place in my heart for the STAR Program. I was a STAR kid for three years and will be returning for my seventh summer as a STAR leader. Every summer, I am amazed by how talented STAR participants are. It is amazing to see a group of young actors take the stage in four short weeks. This is a challenge that professional actors rarely take on. But it is even more amazing to watch these young actors work together as a team. It is this camaraderie as well as the student's talent that makes every child shine bright on stage!"
WHY: Participation in the performing arts can help to boost a student's confidence and poise. Students learn and practice the values of teamwork, creative collaboration, discipline, and respect.
- No prior experience is necessary. Students experience performing arts fundamentals through fun theatre games, improvisational acting, vocal coaching, and movement exercises.
- Students are grouped into units based on their age, and unit time activities are age-appropriate. Student to STAR leader ratio is 10:1.
- STAR is a unique performing arts day camp with rehearsal and production cycles for GREASE in the morning and fun camp (unit, workshop, or whole group) activities in the afternoons.
- Fun theme days may include: Rock STAR Day, Secret Agent Day, the STAR Olympics, Swim Day, Pirate Day, Crazy Hair Day, etc.
- Fun workshops may include: various dance workshops, juggling, collage making, poetry and lyrics, tie-dye, chroma-key (green screen) in the TV studio, improvisation, and making a skit or acto (short play), etc.
- STAR is a full-day program (7 hours)
- Before and After Care is available for an additional nominal fee
- Ask about possible carpool connections with other STAR families in your community
WHEN: STAR Gilroy runs for 4 weeks, June 22-July 18, 2009, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. STAR is closed for the 4th of July holiday on Friday; July 3rd. Public performances of GREASE are on Friday, July 17, and Saturday, July 18, at 7:00 pm in the Gavilan College Theater.
WHERE: Gavilan College Main Campus, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd., Gilroy, CA 95020.
HOW AND HOW MUCH: Enrollment is only $595 for four weeks. Parents can register their children online at www.gavilan.edu/star or call our Administrative Coordinator Barbara J. Graham at (408) 612-2057 to register by phone. Early registration is highly recommended. Ask about Before and After Care and Carpool Connections.
To schedule an interview with Founder and Executive Director, Marilyn Abad-Cardinalli, please call (408) 848-4764 or email Marilyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.