Position begins Fall Semester 2012
Closing Date: Wednesday February 29, 2012
Under the general supervision of the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Head Librarian is responsible for the budget, operation, staff and services of the College library program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and oversee the library program and operation including reference desk coverage and give direction to library faculty and staff. Provide leadership and coordination for all of the library activities and services including library instruction in support of college curricula, particularly in areas such as information competency and computer literacy.
- Oversee the collection of assessment data for administrative and operational decision making.
- Manage the library budget to plan, and develop library collections and services.
- Coordinate faculty and classified staff work assignments and provide leadership in daily library operations.
- Establish and maintain liaison with discipline faculty and college programs to ensure the coordination of programs and services.
- Develop and evaluate information and instructional services to support learning and teaching.
- Represent the College on consortia and/or network committees.
- Work a 35-hour week, which may include evening and weekend hours.
- Participate in College committees.
- Participate in development and administration of grants and related activities towards a more effective library program.
- Manages and oversees effective use of library automation systems including the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog), eBooks, and subscription databases and coordinating these activities with vendors, consortia, and library reference, technical processing and circulation staff.
- Oversee an innovative outreach program extending the Libraryís services, information technologies and training to faculty, staff and students at satellite campuses, faculty resource centers and web interfaces.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Masterís Degree in Library Science, library and information science, or the equivalent*.
* Individuals lacking the above degree-based academic qualifications, but who may have an equivalent background must submit either an Equivalency Form as part of their application package OR possess a valid lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential that authorizes teaching Library Science. Contact Human Resources for details about the equivalency application.
Desirable Attributes and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience in library organization and administration.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Professional experience in an academic library.
- Demonstrated current knowledge of library trends, practices, and information technologies.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to stay current in library developments and to learn new technologies.
- Evidence of professional involvement in the field of information studies/libraries at regional, state or national level.
- Ability to perform and prioritize tasks in a timely manner independently.
- Ability to interact effectively in a culturally diverse and rapidly evolving environment.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish.
Initial salary placement in the current Faculty Salary Schedule depends on education and experience. Benefit package includes employee and dependent medical, vision, dental plans, and $50,000 life insurance.
The following items must be received by Gavilan College Human Resources Office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 (postmark not acceptable). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Finalists will be invited to an interview with the Superintendent/President and Vice-President of Instruction, at which time professional and personal references will be requested.
- Completed legible Certificated Gavilan District Application Form.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Survey Form (optional)
- Resume of education and experience
- Letter of Intent: A one or two page personal statement relating your training, experience, and teaching philosophy to the qualifications of this position
- Unofficial transcripts verifying minimum academic qualifications. If offered a position, official transcripts will be required
- Equivalency Application, if applicable.
Applications are available at:
Gavilan College Human Resources Office
5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard
Gilroy, CA 95020
Phone: (408) 852-2823
Fax: (408) 846-4944
Applications will be mailed on request. Please write or call the Gavilan Human Resources Office at (408) 852-2823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: All expenses related to the application and interview process are the responsibility of the applicant. If selected and prior to employment, employee must: (a) provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States; (b) be fingerprinted and have background clearance; and, c) have current proof of clearance from tuberculosis.
Gavilan College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/Title IX/Employer of Disabled, committed to hiring a diverse staff. All qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, military status, sexual orientation, or marital status are encouraged to apply.