Skip main navigation

Demonstrating Ability to Benefit


Law Effective 7/1/2012

Federal regulations require financial aid students to have a high school diploma, general educational development certificate (GED), or California High School Proficiency (CHSPE) in order to qualify for Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, Federal Student Loans, and Cal Grants.

Students who do not have a high school diploma, GED or CHSPE AND who enroll in a program of study after July 1, 2012, will no longer be eligible for federal aid under the ATB, CELSA or 6 units of college coursework provisions. 

Students who enrolled in a Title IV school prior to 7/1/2012 and who do not have a high school diploma, GED, or CHSPE will retain eligiblity for Title IV programs with any of the following:

1. Receiving passing score on Ability to Benefit Assessment (ATB) or CELSA Assessment.

2. Earning 6 units of degree applicable coursework.

To confirm your eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (408) 848-4727.

Last modified: April 23, 2013
Gavilan College Red Diamond 5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard Red Diamond Gilroy, CA 95020 Red Diamond (408) 848-4800