DRC Adapted Physical Education
Adapted Physical Education is a comprehensive program designed for students
with physical disabilities. Classes offered enable students to improve flexibility
and range of motion, increase joint movement, improve control of body movement.
Special attention is given to activity programs that meet the interest and
individual functional capacities of students who may not safely or successfully
engage in the activities of the regular Physical Education program.
Classes are provided by qualified instructors through a number of water and
gym activities. Instruction available in:
- Adapted Aquatic Exercise
- Adapted Swimming for Total Fitness
- Adapted Physical Education
- Adapted Cardiovascular Conditioning and Training
Two outdoor pools are used for aerobic and swim classes.
Our pools are maintained year round and kept at a comfortable 84-86 degrees.
Gavilan College has recently opened a state-of-the-art Fitness Center and
Mini Gym Facility.
We offer a mini gym that is a great facility for wheelchair
basketball and related wheelchair exercises. The floor material is firm,
yet soft, ideal for floor exercises. The gym includes an adjustable basketball
rim, floor marking for badminton and basketball.
The Fitness Center is a
facility containing the very finest in exercise equipment. Cardiovascular
equipment available for student use:
- Monark Stationary Bikes
- Five Scifit Machines (wheelchair accessible) - Elliptical & Bicycle
- Three Trackmaster Treadmills
- Four Flexicisers (primarily used by wheelchair students)
Strength, balance and stretching equipment available for student use:
- Chord Machines - designed for hamstring stretching
- Uppertone Machines -
specifically designed for wheelchair students but useful for other individuals
- Easy Stand 6000 - standing fram for upper and lower extremity use
- K.A.T. Balance Trainer - excellent for improving balance due to injury
and/or post surgery
- Magnum Fitness Systems - Fouteen individual machines each designed for
specific muscular groups
- Stair Climber - Improve strength and balance
- Stretching Tables