Online Counseling - Webcam or Email
Real-time, Webcam and Audio Interaction with a Counselor:
The platform we use for the video interaction is intuitive, user-friendly and requires no software download or installation. All you will need to do is "knock on the door" of one of our available counselors and meet them online!
What you need to participate:
- Any desktop or laptop computer with a camera (preferred)
- Use Chrome or Firebox as your web browser - you will have technical problems if you use other web browsers!
- Have your web camera ready and activated. Test your computer a day in advance to make sure it is ready for the online counseling session by visiting the Cranium Café website
- Have a headset with a microphone ready (your cell phone headphones will work great!)
- Android or Windows tablet device (video capabilities currently not supported for Apple iOS devices)
- Use Chrome
- Have your camera ready and activated. Test your equipment a day in advance to make sure it is ready for the online counseling session by visiting the Cranium Café website
- Have a headset with microphone ready (your cell phone headset will work great!)
How to prepare for the live interaction:
- Make sure there is proper lighting in the room.
- Make sure there is little to no background noise.
- No interruptions – Do not answer phone calls, texts or surf the web during the session. It is important to give your full attention to the counselor.
- Be respectful when communicating with your counselor.
- Virtual Drop-In sessions are designed to address quick concerns. Virtual appointments will be available Fall 2018.
Online counselors will be available starting on March 23, 2018. Spring schedule for online "drop-in" sessions will be:
|DATE||START TIME||END TIME|
- You may meet with a counselor during the hours listed above by "knocking" on the virtual door of an available counselor (indicated by a green button on their Cafe Card, shown below).
- You will then be prompted to login using your Gavilan ID and password to authenticate as a student at Gavilan before beginning your session.
- Your session will begin with a text chat window and it will be replaced by a video window once the counselor "invites you in."
*Please note, all online counseling sessions will be recorded for record-keeping purposes.
Counseling Virtual Doors:Video chat with General Counseling on Cranium Cafe
EMAIL - 24/7 Counselor Contact:
At Gavilan College, we take your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information very seriously. Unfortunately, due to the public nature of the Internet, it is impossible for us to guarantee complete privacy during your online counseling sessions.
Online counseling is conducted over unencrypted email, and is thus vulnerable to "electronic eavesdropping" at any point between your computer and Gavilan's network. We will not permit you to transmit social security numbers or credit card information over this link. It is up to you to use your discretion and common sense as to how much personal information you communicate over email.
In other words, don't e-mail anything that you wouldn't put on a postcard.