Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of the month from 2:30pm to 4:00pm and are scheduled in North/South Lounge.
Welcome to the Spring 2018 semester!
Many of you were hard at work over the break, but I hope you all had some time away to recover and rejuvenate! There are many things happening at the California Community Colleges and at Gavilan in particular, and I appreciate your support in electing me to this role as we embark on these exciting times. I look forward to this leadership position and working with you. We have some of the most dedicated faculty and staff, and our students are truly lucky to have the opportunity to work with each and every one of you.
As your Academic Senate President, it is my goal to help foster communication across our campus. Even with our busy schedules, I would like to encourage participation in the shared governance process and encourage you to take on leadership roles. There are many ways to be involved to ultimately make a difference for our students.
You may wonder what is the Academic Senate? What do we do?
According to TITLE 5: §53200, Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. “Academic and Professional matters” means the following policy development matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
The items listed above are referred to as the 10+1. When items are brought to the Senate, we need to consider how they fall under the 10+1. If they do not, are they a Senate issue? As I embark on this new role, I invite you to join me. Attend a meeting, create dialogue between you and your department Senate Representative, discuss with your colleagues all matters Gavilan and learn how you can be a part of the leadership on campus.
Have a wonderful semester and I look forward to seeing you!
Department of Kinesiology
Academic Senate President