After completing the Mathematics major, students transferring to a four-year institution will be prepared for additional study in the following areas:
Actuarial science, applied mathematics, computer science (programming), statistics, theoretical mathematics
Mathematics A.S. Degree
Program Learning Outcomes: After completing this degree a student will be able to:
- identify and utilize appropriate mathematical operations in the simplification of expressions and solution of equations.
- compare and contrast various mathematical models and then apply the appropriate model to real world problems.
- describe, compare and contrast various mathematical functions using everyday language.
- describe, compare and contrast various mathematical properties and operations for real and imaginary numbers using everyday language.
Mathematics majors are encouraged to consult four-year college catalogs during their first semester at Gavilan College.
See Gavilan general education requirements. Students completing the core courses will have satisfied reuirements for Area B (Physical Universe and Its Life Forms), 3. Mathematics.
ENGR 5 C++ Scientific Programming 3 units
MATH 1A Single-Variable Calculus and Analytic Geometry 4 units
MATH 1B Single-Variable Calculus and Analytic Geometry 4 units
MATH 1C Multivariable Calculus 4 units
MATH 2 * Linear Algebra 3 units
MATH 2C Differential Equations 3 units
Total Units for Major: 21 UNITS
Plus completion of general education requirements units vary
Total Units Required for A.S.: minimum of 60 UNITS
Recommended Electives: MATH 5, 26; PHYS 4A, B, C
* There are times when a course listed as a requirement for a major or
certificate cannot be offered in a reasonable timeframe. Course
substitutions and waivers will be considered by the department. Please
contact the department chairperson. This information is available from
the Office of Instruction - (408) 848-4761.