Skip main navigation

Citizens' Oversight Committee


April 16, 2007 -- Minutes
I Call to Order
 

Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m.

Members attending: Pi Silverstein, Marco Renella, Tom Andrade, Russ Danielson, Douglas Marshall, Sandra Fishler, Tony Ko, Susan Patereau, Mark Zappa

Others attending: Steve Kinsella, Joe Keeler

II Consent Agenda
 

MS (Renella/Marshall) unanimously carried to approve minutes of 12/18/06.

III Approval of Agenda
 

MS (Fishler/Renella) unanimously carried to approve agenda.

IV Comments from the Public
 

This is a time for the public to address the Citizens’ Oversight Committee. Pablo Balancio, community member.

V Information Items
 

1. Item(s) presented as information to or approved by the Board of Trustees:

    January 9, 2007
  • Revision to BFGC Architect Planners, Inc. (BFGC) Master Planning Agreement
  • Change Order No. 2 Boiler Replacement Project, Resolution No. 867
  • Change Order No. 1 Infrastructure Project, Resolution No. 868
  • Agreements for Division of State Architect (DSA) Inspection Services - Interim Housing Phase I and Phase II Projects
  • Agreement for Testing and Inspection Services - Interim Housing Phase I and Phase II Projects
  • Bid for Measure E Swing Space Phase II Site Work Project
  • Bid for Measure E Demolition Work Occupational Education Building Area Project
    February 13, 2007
  • Citizens’ Oversight Committee - Term of Office (Information Item)
  • Measure E Bond Quarterly Financial Status Report (Information Item)
  • Citizens’ Oversight Committee Appointment (Douglas Marshall)
  • FY 05-06 Measure E Bond Audit Reports
  • Acceptance of Boiler Replacement Project, Resolution No. 869
  • Change Order No. 2 Infrastructure Project, Resolution No. 870
  • Bid for Measure E Swing Space - Phase I Site Work Project
    April 10, 2007
  • Status of Coyote Valley Campus Facility Design
  • Interim Housing Phase I Change Order No. 1 Mobile Modular, Resolution No. 871
  • Interim Housing Phase I Change Order No. 1 Meadows Construction Services, Inc., Resolution No. 872
  • Interim Housing Phase II Change Order No., 1 Mobile Modular, Resolution No. 873
  • Interim Housing Phase II Change Order No. 1 McGuire & Hester, Resolution No. 874
  • Site Demolition Project Occupational Education Building Change Order No. 1 Randazzo Enterprises, Inc., Resolution No. 875
  • Acceptance of Site Demolition Project, Occupational Education Building, Resolution No. 876
  • Kitchell Project Assignment Amendment (PAA) - Theater Remodel (Rooms 127 and 130) Project.
    This project will be paid by state scheduled maintenance program funds.
  • BFGC Project Assignment Amendment (PAA) - Theater Remodel (Rooms 127 and 130) Project.
    This project will be paid by state scheduled maintenance program funds.

Joe noted that the Kitchell and BFGC amendments (theater remodel) were listed in error. Both of these projects will be paid by scheduled maintenance funds. There is a possibility that Measure E funds may be used for the accessibility project.

Steve reported that as soon as the EIR process is cleared escrow can close on the Coyote Valley property. The South Bay Regional Public Safety Training program (600 FTES) will be moving from Evergreen Valley College to the Coyote Valley site, using modular buildings. The state can give Gavilan credit as an education center for the students attending the public safety training program.

This will assist us in obtaining matching funds from the state. The transition may take a year.

VI Discussion Items
 

1. Committee Member Terms and Vacancies

Pi introduced new committee member, Susan Patereau, business representative. Steve noted that the committee has more members than required and did not see a need to recruit more members. Steve stated that the college will continue to try to get student participation. There was a question about what constitutes a quorum. Steve will check the bylaws.

2. Review 2006 Report to the Community

Pi thanked Marco and Sandra for reviewing and providing input on the report. Tom noted that it was well done and asked about the expenditure for classified salaries. Joe stated the Assistant Director of MIS is coordinating the logistics of the new ERP system and the amount ($37,802) notes 50% of salary. This was less expensive than hiring someone and there are no indirect costs. There was a question about the date under title, page 39 and a suggestion to remove the picture on page 40. The report will also be included in the schedule of classes that is due to be sent out in 2-3 weeks. A question was asked about the audit process. Joe stated that a Request for Proposal is done for all auditing services to solicit bids from CPA firms. In this case there were about 25 selected from the Chancellor’s Office list. Joe stated that there are guidelines established by the Chancellor’s office, state and federal government offices that we must abide by as well as the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).

3. Update Measure E Activities

  1. Measure E Construction Updates
    Presented for information, no accidents have been reported.
VII ACTION ITEM(S)
 

1. 2006 Report to Community

MS (Renella/Zappa) unanimously carried to approve report.

2. Recognitions

Pi presented Russ and Sandra with a Certificate of Appreciation for their contribution as committee members.

Next meeting: Sept. 10, 2007, 6:00 p.m. Pi requested another tour at 5:00 p.m. to see the new lighting.

VIII CLOSING ITEMS
 

1. Adjournment

MS (Danielson/Andrade) to adjourn meeting at 6:36 p.m.





PUBLIC COMMENTS – Individuals wishing to address the Citizens' Oversight Committee (COC) on a non-agenda item may do so during the Comments from the Public

However, no action may be taken on an item, which is not on the agenda. The public is welcomed to address the COC on particular agenda items and may do so at the time it is presented. Guidelines for Comments from the Public will be as follows:

A maximum of 5 minutes will be allotted to each speaker with a maximum of 20 minutes to a subject area.
No disruptive conduct will be permitted at any Gavilan College Citizens' Oversight Committee meeting.

AGENDA ITEMS – Individuals wishing to have an item appear on the agenda must submit the request in writing to the Superintendent/President two weeks prior to the meeting. The COC Chair and Superintendent/President will determine what items will be included in the agendas.

Items listed under the Consent Agenda are considered to be routine and are acted on by the COC as one motion. There is no discussion of these items prior to COC vote unless a member of the COC, staff, or public requests those specific items are discussed and/or removed from the Consent Agenda. It is understood that the Administration recommends approval on all consent items. Each item on the Consent Agenda approved by the COC shall be deemed to have been considered in full and adopted as recommended.

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to access the board meeting room or to otherwise participate at this meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Angie Oropeza at 408-848-4711. Notification at least 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the District to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to the COC meeting.

Please help keep Gavilan College a litter-free campus and preserve its park-like setting. Thank you.

Last modified: August 20, 2009
Gavilan College 5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard Gilroy, CA 95020 (408) 848-4800