Citizens’ Oversight Committee

October 17, 2005

 

Minutes

 

I.          CALL TO ORDER

Russ Danielson, Vice Chair, called the meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m.

 

Members attending: Russ Danielson, Marco Renella, Tony Ko, Tom Andrade, Pi Silverstein, Lawrence Grace, Kip Ward, Sandra Fishler, Mark Zappa

 

Others attending: Joe Keeler, Jessica Garcia, ASB student, Jan Chargin

 

II.          Consent Agenda

1.      Minutes – 7/18/05

MS (Silverstein/Grace) unanimously carried to approve the minutes of 7/18/05 as corrected.

 

III          Approval of Agenda

MS (Fishler/Silverstein) unanimously carried to approve corrected consent agenda. Joe Keeler noted that there was an error in placing Action Item 2, the appointment of student representatives on the agenda.  This will be presented to the Board of Trustees as an action item at the Nov. 8 board meeting.  Two students are interested in participating on the committee.  Joe introduced one of the students, Jessica Garcia.  Russ thanked the student for her consideration of joining the committee. Joe requested that that an item to set the next meeting dates be added to the agenda.

 

IV.        Comments from the Public

            None

 

V.        Action Items

            1.  New Officers

                  Russ Danielson acknowledged David DiDenti’s service as a committee member and Chair.  Joe read a certificate of recognition, which will be sent to David.  The term for Tom Andrade, Lawrence Grace, Marco Renella, Pi Silverstein, Tony Ko, Mark Zappa, student representative will end June 30, 2008.  The term for Russ Danielson, Sandra Fishler, Kip Ward, and student representative will end June 30, 2007.

                 

                  Nominations opened for Chair:

 

                  Marco Renella nominated Russ Danielson as Chair. MS (Fishler/Renella) unanimously carried.  MS (Silverstein/Grace) to close nominations unanimously carried.

 

                  Nominations opened for Vice Chair:

                 

                  Tony Ko nominated Pi Silverstein as Vice Chair.  MS (Tony/Grace) unanimously carried.  MS (Andrade/Renella) to close nominations unanimously carried to appointment Pi Silverstein as Vice Chair.

                 

VI.        DISCUSSION ITEMS

1.   Update Measure E Activities

      (a) Projects/Contracts/Agreements for Bond Work

                        Joe reviewed web site information and how input is being solicited.  There have been very few comments from the public, some from students, and most from staff.  Joe reviewed the Bid for Computer Purchase (Fall 2005) Vendor Selection.  There will be approximately 900 computers installed over a 3 year period.  Pi asked about companies that needed to pre-qualify before bidding. Joe stated that the vendors for the request for proposals for an Integrated ERP system were asked to give the College a letter of intent.  Joe stated that the education code allows, when dealing with technology, the College to pick one of the three lowest bids.  Tony Ko asked if the College requires that vendors have a 9001 International Standard of Organization certification.  Joe stated that he could ask if they have it.

 

                  (b) Summary of Financial Transactions

                        Joe reviewed the summary financial transaction reports.  The reports will be audited, as a performance audit (terms and conditions of what the voters approved) and a financial audit.  The District is paying for the audit; Measure E funds will not be used.  The report will be brought to the Citizens’ Oversight Committee.  Pi asked if the accounts by the code numbers could have a simple description of the item in future reports.  Joe will include in next report to the committee.

 

                  (c)  Renewal of Terms for Citizens’ Oversight Committee

                        Joe reviewed the terms and reported that they have been                                                          extended by two years.

 

                  (d)  Annual Report

                        Jan Chargin, Public Information Officer, reviewed the annual reports from other colleges.  Jan suggested the annual report should include a statement by the Chair on behalf of the committee and contact information for committee members, background about the bond, a list of projects, photos, budget and money expended on each project and project status, audits, schedule information, increase in costs, etc.

                       

                        Mark Zappa recommended that it should be online and include in the schedule and community education schedule.  Sandra Fisher recommended that there should be copies of the report available on campus. Russ Danielson suggested that a tag line be included in the publications to “see our Citizens’ Oversight Committee Annual Report online.  A suggestion was made to do a press release to indicate where it will appear. Pi distributed written comments about the annual report.  A suggestion was made that the newspapers may print the report at no cost.  Tom Andrade favored a simple format and having a summary section.  Pictures should be taken when projects are completed.

                       

                        Jan will draft the report and Pi volunteered to work with her in developing the report.  A picture of the committee will be taken at the Nov. 28 meeting.

                       

            VII.       Next meeting

                        1.  Nov. 28, 6:00 p.m., Gavilan College, Student Center,                                                             North/South Lounges.

 

Agenda items for next meeting:      Review Draft Annual Report

                                                            Next Meeting Dates

 

Everyone was asked to bring calendars to the next meeting to set the next two meetings.

 

MS (Renella/Ward) to adjourn meeting unanimously carried.

 

Meeting adjourned 7:07 p.m.