Skip main navigation


Facilities Development and Utilization Committee

March 31, 2010

  Committee Members: Tom Breen, Mark Dover, and Debra Smith
  Committee Resources: Joe Keeler and Steve Kinsella

1) Call Meeting to Order: Trustee Tom Breen called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m.
2) Approve Minutes: Minutes from the September 9, 2009 meeting were approved unanimously. MS (Smith/Dover)
3) Comments from the Public: No comments from the public.

4) Update Measure E Projects
  Joe reviewed a handout entitled, "Measure "E" Bond Meeting Construction Report," dated March 26, 2010.
5) Site Location for Administration and Student Services Building
  Joe reviewed that the District was submitting an FPP for the Administration and Student Services building. He referred the Committee to the attachment that included three possible locations or footprints for this new building. There was general discussion about the pros and cons of each location and the secondary affects of such a move on the current student center complex once vacated. Trustee Dover asked if handicap parking and access would be considered and he was assured that it would as it is a Division of State Architect requirement. Joe indicated that the Health, Safety, Facilities & Ground Committee is discussing the location issue and that President’s Council will be making a recommendation to the President at their April 14 meeting. President Kinsella will be making a recommendation to the Board of Trustees. With Board approval of the location, the FPP will be submitted to the State.
6) Gavilan Energy Assessment and Possible Solar Options
  President Kinsella noted that there are a number of groups that have made overtures to the District about partnering up for various energy or green technologies to lower our cost of energy and make Gavilan more efficient. One group has suggested putting a solar farm on one or more of the District sites but the technology seems new and may have higher maintenance costs than first anticipated. Having said that, however, the District should look into this type of technology. To that end, President Kinsella mentioned that Jim Goodell, representing PPV, has indicated that the District is in a good position to take advantage of laws, regulations, and policies that impact the viability of sustainable projects here at Gavilan. The Committee supported looking into these possibilities with the help of PPV.
7) Water Supply System Replacement
  Joe referred the Committee to a letter from Dean Tatsuno, principal architect with BGFC concerning the water supply system replacement FPP and the rationale for not including drinking water in this project. The Committee asked that Joe contact Dean and ask that a reassessment of the rationale be made in addition to the ability of the District to change the FPP to include drinking water without jeopardizing the application that is currently with the State.
8) Budget Adjustments
  Joe reviewed the process that is now underway to reconcile the cost for various completed projects with what Kitchell had established and what Gilbane is reassessing. Once that process is completed Joe will review with the Committee or the full Board for approval.
9) Other
  Trustee Dover asked if Joe could look into the practicality of emergency phones in the parking lots noting that there are now solar panels that might be able to power the phones and reduce the costs. Joe will get back to the Committee.
10) Recess to Closed Session
  The Committee recessed to close session at 4:47 p.m.
11) Closed Session
  Call to Order – Closed session was called to order at 4:47 p.m.
12) Resume Open Session
  1. Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.
  2. Report of any Action taken in Closed Session – No action taken in closed session.
13) Adjourned Meeting adjourned at 5:02 p.m.

Please help keep Gavilan College a litter-free campus and preserve its park-like setting.
Thank you.

Last modified: May 26, 2011
Gavilan College 5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard Gilroy, CA 95020 (408) 848-4800