Let us help you get on the right track in college. If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, we can help you...
- Is this your first semester in college?
- Have you been in college but still not sure how things work?
- Do your placement test results indicate you need to take English and/or Math at the 400 or 200 level?
- Do you wish you had a place to go to ask any and all questions about how to navigate through the college system?
- Do you want to make sure that you sign up for the right courses?
- Need money to pay for fees and books?
Who are we?
We are a new department on campus created to provide support and information to students who assess into pre-transfer levels of English and Math (English 440, 439, 420, 260, 250 and/or Math 404, 402, 400, 205, 233).
Our staff is available to help guide students to the resources and services on campus that will help them be successful here at Gavilan College. If you are a new student and not sure what steps you need to take to apply, get registered and begin your classes here, we can walk you through the entire process. If youare a continuing student, but haven't decided on your educational and career goals, we can help you with that as well.
Services provided by the Basic Skills Network are completely free and include but are not limited to
- academic, career and personal counseling from a Basic Skills Network counselor
- financial aid assistance and referral
- eligibility info and referrals to EOPS, MESA, Puente and TRIO
- information about the Disability Resource Center
- introduction to the Tutoring Center, Writing Center and Library Services
- information about on-campus childcare services
We'll walk you through the process. Help you know where to start and what to do first to kick-start your education and your future. No question is too silly. No concern too trivial. And NOTHING is impossible. We can guide you to the services on campus that will help you pay for school, succeed in your classes and set goals for your future. Come see us soon!