High School Transfer Enrichment Program
Gavilan College, in conjunction with area high school districts, offers transfer level courses on select high school campuses each fall and spring semester. In recent semesters this has included course offerings at Gilroy, Christopher and San Benito high schools. All courses offered in the High Step program are transfer-level courses accepted at most universities or colleges. This program is coordinated through the office of Outreach and Recruitment (408-846-4993)
The courses offered at partner high school campuses varies by semester, and are coordinated between the college and high school, including Career-Technical courses.
The High Step program is designed for high school juniors and seniors. All concurrent enrollment documents are required, and the Outreach office can facilitate the process with high school staff.
There are many reasons to enroll in the High Step program which include:
- starting college while enrolled in high school!
- earning a maximum of 12 college units in two years.
- courses conveniently offered at the high school.
- meeting college and university requirements while still in high school.
- The enrollment fee, campus center use fee, health fee, and student representation fee are waived for High Step students.
- Experience college level work.
- Reduce four-year university expense.
- Advance academically.
- Be competitive in the 4-year college and university admission process.
Who Can Participate?
- High school juniors and seniors. (Courses offered at high school locations are open to any college-age student.)
- Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
- Score at the appropriate level in reading, writing, and math.
- Ability to benefit from advanced scholastic work.
How to Register:
- Complete an application for admission.
- Take the Gavilan College assessment placement test.
- See your high school academic counselor to determine eligibility. All concurrent documents are required.
- Fill out a High School Contract with your high school academic counselor.
- Ask your parent to sign the contract.
- Register for your class. For more information about registration, call the Admissions and Records Office at 408- 848-4735.
While courses offered through this program are open to all college-aged students, High Step benefits are only included for those who apply through their area high school.
Students must purchase their own textbooks. Visit the Gavilan College bookstore website. If you are unable to afford your textbook please see your high school counselor or principal.