POLS1: INTRO AMERICAN GOVERNMNT
Explores the development of American political institutions and their utilization in dealing with issues arising at the international, national and state levels. Emphasis is placed on those problems which have defined our federal system of government. California government and appropriate state institutions will be included as a vital part of our federal system of government. (C-ID: POLS 110) ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Describe and analyze the critical issues in the evolution of the U.S. Constitution.
- Identify and evaluate the role of the three major branches of the American national government.
- Identify and evaluate the leading theories on American governance.
- Identify the major interest groups in American society and assess their impact on the democratic process.
- Identify and evaluate America's progress in its pursuit of equal opportunity and justice for all.
- Analyze the role of culture, diversity and ideology in shaping public opinion and public policy in the U.S. and California.