AJ32: CRIME & DELINQUENCY
An introduction to major types of criminal behavior, characteristics of offenders, factors which contribute to crime and delinquency; the criminal justice process: the function of law enforcement, the courts, probation, parole and institutions; changes in crime control and treatment processes, the role of society. ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Examine the overview and description of the various components in the criminology and sociological perspectives.
- Define and utilize the various psychological and sociological crime theories, including Classical School of Criminology and Rational choice.
- Describe the general nature and composition of the special-needs offender population to include mentally ill ofenders, sex offenders, gang members, and drug/alcohol dependent offenders.
- Examine violent crime with emphasis on homicide, robbery, assaults and various other crimes.
- Examine the various components of the criminal justice system.