AJ20: JUVENILE LAW/PROCED
This course covers techniques of handling juvenile offenders and victims; prevention and repression of delinquency; diagnosis and referral; and organization of community resources. The course also includes juvenile law and juvenile court procedure with a strong emphasis on California law, including the California Penal and Welfare and Institution Codes. (C-ID: AJ 220) ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Critically analyze and describe the juvenile justice system and its context in the criminal justice system.
- Apply California laws pertaining to juvenile delinquency and dependency to case studies.
- Critically distinguish between delinquency, status offenses, and dependency.
- Critically analyze the distinctions between the adult and juvenile justice systems.
- Critically evaluate Constitutional protections extended to juveniles thru judicial decisions.
- Critically appraise the juvenile court dispositions.