AJ19: INTRO TO INVESTIGATION
Fundamentals of investigation; techniques of crime scene search and recording; collection and preservation of physical evidence; modus operandi processes; sources of information; interview and interrogation, and follow-up investigation. (C-ID: AJ 140) ADVISORY: Eligible for English 250 and English 260.
- Identify and explain the role of documentation in the criminal investigative process.
- Recognize, identify and explain the implications of a given piece of evidence in a criminal process.
- Identify critical ethical issues relating to criminal investigation.
- Describe successive evolutionary stages of the criminal investigative process.
- Identify procedures for first responders to crime scenes.
- Describe the duties related to the basic functions of crime scene management including control, searching, evidence processing and general area investigation.
- Identify the role of forensic examination in a criminal investigative process.
- Compare and contrast the legalities and strategies of interview and interrogation.
- Identify key information sources and data systems available to investigators.
- Explain the role of the investigator in the judicial process.