MATH205B: SECOND HALF ALGEBRA
This course contains the material covered in the second half of the Elementary Algebra Course. It will cover factoring polynomials, solving quadratic equations by factoring, rational expressions, radicals, and solving quadratic equations. In addition, the course will review applications involving linear equations of one and two variables, finding slopes and graphing linear equations, solving systems of equations with two variables, and solving linear inequalities. Math 205, 205A and 205B, and 206 have similar course content. This course may not be taken by students who have completed Math 205 or 206 with a grade of 'C' or better. PREREQUISITE: Math 205A with a grade of 'C' or better. ADVISORY: Concurrent enrollment in Guidance 563B is advised.
- Apply the laws of exponents to algebraic expressions.
- Find the slope and equation of a line.
- Graph linear equations.
- Solve systems of equations in two variables and their applications.
- Define a polynomial and perform the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of polynomials.
- Factor polynomials and solve polynomial equations in one variable.
- Simplify and perform operations with rational expressions.
- Determine square roots, simplify radicals, and perform basic operations with radicals.
- Solve quadratic equations by using the quadratic formula
- Solve applications of linear equations including geometric applications.